What's the best hope for my grandma's broken Gibson LG-1?

dangayle

I just inherited this 1950s J45 (EDIT: turns out it is an LG-1) from my Grandma, and it's in a sad sad state :(

The good news is that the neck and fretboard are perfect. The bad news is that one of my nephews crushed it or something and the sides are all broken pretty badly. The soundboard is split and some of the bracing is broken, but it looks pretty fixable to me, although I am no expert.

What's your diagnosis, and does anyone know someone in the Pacific Northwest (Washington/Oregon/Idaho) who would be qualified to fix this up?

Full gallery here >>

Also, if you could help me identify the serial, that would be a real boon. I think it's a 1950s J-45, based on the serial number starting with a Z, but I don't know more than that.

Last edited:

sixstringfuel

Hotdogs kill
I have seen miracles worked on some pretty banged up old guitars but that's in really bad shape.
I don't think there would be much original left. It's a piece of art though I would hang it on the wall.

Good luck with it.

Jack Daniels

I think Gryphons is out that way. That would be a top notch shop to repair any guitar! That is in pretty poor shape. The cost will be pretty large, but it would be done out of a labor of love. Usually Luthiers try to buy these up to save them. There is so much labor involved that the cost is prohibitive many times.

dangayle

The cost will be pretty large, but it would be done out of a labor of love.
I don't think there would be much original left. It's a piece of art though I would hang it on the wall.
This was the first musical instrument I ever heard in my life. When I was a child we lived with my grandma and I remember her playing Kawliga on this very guitar. I don't think she would want it to hang on a wall, she'd want it to bring music into the world.

dangayle

yes. I looked at them all. I think its an LG1 or LG2. That makes it worth quite a bit less....
Spruce sunburst top, 1952 serial number, single bound, I'm guessing you're right, although I didn't get a great look at the bracing. I was just always *told* it was a J-45, never actually confirmed it. And I hadn't seen the guitar for over 20 years until just this morning.

Bobby D

fix it. it's an heirloom AND it's a J-45 - one of the greatest acoustic instruments known to man.

oops - it's NOT a J-45, it's an LG series guitar -might not be worth the cost to repair it, but if it has sentimental value, maybe do it anyway

Last edited:

Torren61

Goddang kids! FFS, I TOLD y'all not to run in the house! NOW look whatcha did... That's gonna be some money to fix but you HAVE to fix it. You don't really have a choice in the matter. If only it didn't have such a connection to you and your granny but it does. Welp, there goes your income tax refund.

Oh, and get your nephew's dad to kick in on the repair costs. It was HIS dumbass kid that wrecked it. You can't control your kids... you gotta pay.

Now, GET OFFA MY LAWN!!

quilsaw

I'd recommend Mark Tossman (206-914-1040), who did I similar repair on an old D-21 I found. He does exceptional work at very reasonable prices. FWIW, Mark does the vintage guitar repairs for Emerald City Guitars.

Last edited:

Trending Topics