What's the best lighweight Bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Wescaster, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Wescaster

Wescaster Member

A few years ago I bought my wife a Mike Lull P Bass. I loved the bass and so did she, but it was too heavy for her so sadly I had to sell it and buy her a cheap Fender P Bass lite. It's a boring bass in my oppinion, but she loves it because it's light.

My question is .. What would be a high quality light weight Bass? :huh

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i've seen some shockingly light lakland 5-strings, but i'm surprised you couldn't just specify a lightweight lull build.

the catch with light basses is balance. you need lightweight keys and sometimes even a different body shape to get them to not neck-dive.

3. s2y

s2y Member

If you're willing to spend dough, something made with light maple/ash can be really light, especially if chambered.

Fenders vary widely in weight. Pick up every Fender you see and you might find one that's light. Most people who find a light Fender that sounds good an play good tend not to let them slip away.

4. Wescaster

Wescaster Member

Yea, I'm sure those guys could build me a light one, but I'm usually looking into used for financial reasons. The Lakland may be a way to go.

5. epluribus

epluribus Member

Two things...both for certain Try B4 Buy.

Cort Curbow...

The tone is way different than a P-Bass but have her spend some time playing one to see if it fits. Full scale-length, lower-profile neck tho plenty wide, very small luthite body, active electronics, slaps good, and extremely light. The bads...somewhat limited tonality, luthite finish does not suffer dings well, impossible to play sitting down, and the neck is bendy if your touch isn't light. All that said? IMHO mine's got Fun written all over it.

Headless Boat-Paddle...

Main players...pre-Gib Steinberger, pricey, unique, reputedly very cool basses. Gib/Steinberger Synapse...incredibly stable composite-reinforced necks, EMG active pups, middling-size necks, decent workmanship...but don't ding the thin veneer on the flame-tops. Gib/Steinberger/Cort/Lotus/Burnside/Hohner Spirit...maple neck-thru center block, bendy, soft maple wings, pups and wiring all over the map, middling-size neck, serviceable workmanship. Boat paddles are a little strange to play owing to the size, weight, and shape, but I liked my Cort headless before I tore it to pieces. The tone is typically very different. Stay in your lap? Unless you get the Steiny doorstop...Ha! Must play B4 buy.

Hon. Mention, Headless Boat-Paddle:

Kramer "The Duke" and related cousins. Aluminum necks, cult following on EBay. Never played one, folks seem to like 'em. Short scale.

Yamaha BX-1 (IIRC), interesting feature: Do some research...appears to be a steel baseplate on the tuning system/tailpiece. Everybody else uses cast zinc...which is what most all TOMs are, just for perspective. Never played or actually seen one.

Matsumoku headless: I've seen a Westone headless or two on EBay now and then. If it's like other Matsu solidbodies, the basic construction will be reasonable, the finish will be good-but-not-great as long as they didn't paint the fretboard, the electronics are iffy, and who knows what the tuning system is?

--Ray

6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Member

I have a P-Lyte. I like it a lot! I have a bad back and my Deluxe Jazz KILLS me after about an hour standing. The Lyte has a great neck, too. Perfect for smaller hands. Make it less boring! New pickups, preamp (or go passive), chrome knurled knobs, hipshot tuners, badass bridge.

These things are made at the Fujigen factory in Japan..probably better than American Fenders, at least of that period.

"She loves it"....don't piss her off...

7. BluesyCat

BluesyCat Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine Silver Supporting Member

I'm a small female.....my search is over.....

Sadowsky NYC. Hands down the best if lighter weight is a concern... IMHO. Their Metros are a tad heavier but also, highly recommended. You can find good pre-owned NYC's and Metros in the TalkBass classifieds and on the Sadowsky website! There is even a Metro here in the TGP classifieds right now. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1029543&highlight=Sadowsky

Oh yeah, Sadowsky's do not have neck dive. Trust me on that. At least, mine do not.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

9. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

they also made a 3/4(?) bass like 10 yrs ago.
    ..called fender P -bass Jr
    i have one in red. MIM.
    it rawks.

10. One Drop

One Drop Member

Steinbergers weigh 9lbs thereabouts, not much of a solution. NYC aren't exactly budget instruments, either!

There are very lightweight Ps around. Try looking for a light Roadworn, I've seen some light ones. I think Sweetwater lists weights.

11. BluesyCat

BluesyCat Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine Silver Supporting Member

Neither are Lull's.

12. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Ibanez Soundgear basses are very light and have nice necks for those with small hands. Although I regularly play a Fujigen Jazz Bass and a Thunderbird, I played a GSR 200 for a few years until it was stolen and it was a very comfortable, good sounding bass.

13. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

My lady who is also our bass player, is not real big (not tiny, but not big). Fender basses just look & feel huge & heavy on her. The Ibanez Soundgears fit her perfectly are not the least bit neck heavy. She has 2 that are 8 pounds each. One is a P/J MIJ that sounds really good.

14. Wescaster

Wescaster Member

I really appreciate all the great input! My wife and I thought the Stienbergers would be great, but we were surprised how much they weigh. My wife has fairly large hands and she is strong, but still.. anything over about 8 pounds wears on her.

I did'nt mean to insult any P bass lite owners. Terri's is OK and I put some EMGs in it, but lately she has been longing for a little more sustain... I don't have a pile of extra cash right now (or I'd nab the Sadowski for sure) I'm just researching. I usualy shop used. The Lull was not too high priced at the time.
    Just researching.

15. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

Don't overlook the Danelectros RIs (or Jerry Jones if you want to go upscale). I had a 63 reissue for a few years that was perfectly balanced, sounded great, and weighed in at about 6 lbs. They make both long and short scale.

16. jamsk

jamsk Member

My Ibanez SR700 is very light and I get a nice variety of tones from it.

My hollowbodies (vintage Aria 5120 and Artcore AFB200) are even lighter but they are not as versatile in terms of different tones. My AFB200 is my favorite though because I love that warm, thumpy sound.

17. Claytone

Claytone Member

I just acquired a Jerry Jones Longhorn that is incredibly light.

18. Dave Klausner

Dave Klausner Member

Tom Clement built this bad boy for me a few years ago. 7.75 lbs., with no neck dive - not too shabby for a 6 string!

[​IMG]

19. Wescaster

Wescaster Member

That is so tasty looking. Wow!

20. iualum

iualum Member