What's the best neutral backdrop for photographing a guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Kappy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Kappy

Kappy Member

I just realized that my employer has a klieg light type device for photo/video lighting. I can use it at work, but the backdrops at work are really super lame. Is there a good fabric/material I can use that will not detract from the photos? I'm looking for as neutral as possible and will be shooting trans finishes, bursts, burning water, pretty much everything.

Thanks for any info.

Dave

2. Bussman

Bussman Member

Lastolite Hilite is a good choice. About $150, I believe. I use their Cubelite all the time.

3. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

CDaughtry uses a big piece of black velvet, and his pics always look killer.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

I missed these replies and was just searching for the thread so I could bump it. Thanks for the replies, guys! Sounds like velvet might be a bit closer to my budget which is on the free side of cheap and free. ;)

5. Wymore Guitars

Wymore Guitars Member

I was just talking to a photographer friend the other night about this. He does a lot of work for Nike and other large companies. He told me for true color and consistency a neutral gray makes the best shooting background.

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

It really depends on the colour of the guitar and how you're lighting it. If you have access to studio lights with softboxes etc you could use black velvet if (a) you wanted the background to be totally black and (b) you could rim-light the guitar. Otherwise dark finishes will tend to merge into the background. I agree that a neutral grey is a good idea if various colours are to be photographed. A good idea it makes sure that the guitar is some distance from the background so that you have control over the lighting of both the guitar and background independently. It will also help to throw the background out of focus so it competes less with the guitar.

There are no rules! My advice would be simply to make sure that the guitar is always the focal point of the shot and that the background doesn't distract the eye from the guitar.