What's the best new Fender amp to mod?

Remer

My member is platinum. See Below.
Double Platinum Member
Thinking about grabbjng a recording/small stage Fender amp....My wife is hounding me for a christmas list already and I dont want to let her down. Do we have anyone here that does these?

Schroedinger

Just my opinion, if you're planning to do more mods than tubes and speakers, it is miserable to do mods on amps built on a PCB. That includes pretty much all the Fender amps made these days, except the custom shop stuff. Hard when your wife is asking for gift ideas, but I'd look for something older like a Silverface DR… or a modern clone built PTP.

ntmo

Rarely do you see someone looking for an amp "to mod" instead of finding one with the sound you want in it's original design.

Schroedinger

Considering this further, the Pro Junior and the Pawn Shop series look like they have mod potential. Those Excelsior amps look really cool and I dig the 15" speaker, I think it would be cool to completely gut the chassis and build it as a hand-wired Vibroverb variant.

Custom50

Any Silverface Fenders. They are all pretty much built the same and are incredibly easy to work on!

Custom50

Considering this further, the Pro Junior and the Pawn Shop series look like they have mod potential. Those Excelsior amps look really cool and I dig the 15" speaker, I think it would be cool to completely gut the chassis and build it as a hand-wired Vibroverb variant.
Or a tweed Pro!

Remer

My member is platinum. See Below.
Double Platinum Member
Rarely do you see someone looking for an amp "to mod" instead of finding one with the sound you want in it's original design.
Trying to find a new hobby, i want to take something stock and alter it to something that suits my ear.

zenas

Maybe building an amp would be the way to go? Either a kit or get your own parts, bend up a chassis and build the cab.
I would reccomend starting with a stock circuit like a 5e3 (for example) then play it a while to see what you want to change if anything.

msteeln

Since you have the budget-friendly wife and an experimental mind maybe snagging a Super Champ XD and modding the tubey front end then swapping it into a head or install an out to mix with various cabs would be a cool start in the endless search for that sound in our head.
I have an XD in a pine cab with 12" speaker and not that I really need to improve it but these are so good to leave one pondering the possibilities. That would be one of my 'curiosity' projects.

DaveKS

Trying to find a new hobby, i want to take something stock and alter it to something that suits my ear.
Define "mod", some consider rolling tubes and speakers mods. Then there's the soldering iron required mods. Most the new pcb based amps are not really mod friendly. Blues Jr has a cult following with mods though.

Trending Topics