What's the best passive humbucker for my LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by anti-flag193, Oct 11, 2005.

1. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I have the 490/498 in there and I like them a lot, but want something that will push my jcm 800 a little more. I play in a hardcore band and need a good chunky palm muting sound, and with clarity for chording. What do you use?

2. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

seymour duncan antiquity is IMO the best or step higher (more money , too) to the EVH pup (custom shop)

3. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

is'nt the antiquity a low to mid output?

4. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

WCR Goodwood or Darkburst, PF Voodoo 59 or Fralin Unbucker.

5. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Sounds like you need a Duncan Distortion or a Gibson 500T.
    Those pickups will push your amp.

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

For the bridge position try the PRS Dragon I Treble, very articulate for such a hot pickup (ceramic magnets and 18 kohms). For the neck, I recently tried a DiMarzio Air Norton in my PRS CE22 and it's quite hot but with good clarity and definition. I wanted something more PAFish so I replaced it with a Benedetto PAF but I think the Air Norton / Dragon I would be a killer combo for hardcore.

7. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I liked the PRS Dragon I as well when I had it in a 97 PRS Standard.

I would suggest taking a look at Gibson's Dirty Fingers; should get you right where you want to be.

8. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

you're probably looking for either a gibson 500t, a duncan jb, or soem emg's. the gibson dirty fingers has a ton of output too.

9. Erik

Erik Member

I like the WCR's the best.

10. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Duncan "Custom" model.
    "PAF on steroids"

1 of my favorites for what you describe.

Dannyz likes this.
  11. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I'm pretty sure I'm gunna go with the custom. I love it in my sg, so hopefully I'll like it in my les paul. Thanks

12. ishoulddie

ishoulddie Member

Got a Gibson Tony Iommi in my SG, and it works pretty well for me. Higher output than the stock 490T, and a sharper, crunchier sound. i play hardcore and metal as well (through a Dual Rectifier), and it's pretty much perfect for my purposes.

13. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

bareknuckle nailbomb. it's the best high output pickup i've ever heard. they have several other high output models that might suit you too. they're a bit spendy though. if you want something cheaper i'd have to recommend a duncan JB.

14. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I'm thinking a jb would be too bright and trebly. The marshall especially is a bright amp so I was thinking that the custom (which is a bit less trebly and a bit more bassy and middy) would fit the bill.

15. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

First choice would be a WCR Herc.
    If I was going on the cheap I'd get an SD Invader. I used to run one back in the hair metal days. It will really push your amp. Dark thick and hairy!

16. anti-flag193

anti-flag193 Member

I haven't heard of half the pickups people are mentioning. I've heard that the invader can get really muddy though.

17. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I would think that with your JCM 800 the Invader would be ok as it's a tight and fairly bright amp, but yes an Invader and say a Dual Rec could get a bit mushy.

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+1 on the Peter Florance Voodoos, and for even more kick, try his 60s.

19. papersoul

papersoul Member

The best I have tried in my LP Standard is the stock Burstbucker Pros if you want vintage with good bite, the WCR Goodwoods if you want fatter, bigger and smoother, WCR Shredder if you want thick and even sounding but it has a ton of output (keep that in mind), and the Rio Grande BBQ which is thick and full and medium output. All would be good but it depends on your ears.

A 300k volume pot works best in my LP for the bridge volume so keep that in mind when ordering the kit.

The Fillmore bridge was too bright in MY LP, but it may be fine in your LP. It works much better in my McCarty.

I really like the Goodwood because it will do vintage tones but can do high gain metal all tay if you ask.

The Duncan C-5 is also an awesome pickup of choice. A buddy of mine chose that over all the boutique stuff he tried. You never know. All of the above and recommendations of others are great but just starting points. You may like something different than any of us.