What's the best pedal EQ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gumby, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Gumby

Gumby Member

I need to buy a pedal EQ. So far MXR 10 band is on the top of my list. Any other suggestions? Thanks

2. omensixaxe

omensixaxe Member

BJF Sea Blue EQ, many will tell you its unmatched.

3. beckanon

beckanon Member

+1 on the SBEQ. Lots of great uses for it too. You can use it to fine tune your EQ balance for different guitars/amps or you can use it to push an amp into overdrive. I use it in that manner to push my Dr. Z Rt66. It also can help your overdrive pedals sound a little smoother or chimier -- whatever you need. And its perty.

4. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

hmmm, so it sounds good with your Rt66? i'm looking for an EQ for my Rt66, i should check this one out.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The SBEQ is a parametric eq. I've heard great things about it. (the pic is obviously a prototype, but you can see that it's a different monster than the MXR)
    [​IMG]

However, I personally enjoy the flexibility and performance and sound quality of my 10 band graphic equalizer. I use a boss eq-20. It's awesome, and has 9 memory presets! Memory is one of those features that every eq pedal should have, and once it's there it's like "why didn't anyone think of this before?" It sounds amazing and has none of the issues that a stock GE-7 has.

[​IMG]

Finally, if you don't need memory presets and want a smaller footprint, the sniper eq pedal (which is a modded GE-7) is top quality and will blow your mind. Instead of paying the 150 he charges for a new one, I'd buy a used stock one off ebay for dirt cheap and either order the DIY mod kit ($25) or send it in to him to mod ($50).
    www.tone-jam.com

I've never heard the MXR version nor how it compares to other pedals except a stock boss ge-7. It is better than the GE-7, but that's not saying much. Not saying it isn't an amazing pedal, but I'm just trying to open your eyes a bit to different options.

For the record: I've done a lot of research and have some real world experience with eq-ing different instruments. I don't just use my eq pedal just to "sound good", but I mainly use it to cut through the mix, which it comes through in spades. To that end, a graphic eq is invaluable. A parametric EQ is great if you don't feel like researching eq techniques (which can be as easy as typing "eq primer" into google to start with; not to mention I found all the info to be extremely interesting and fascinating reads) and want to use it simply to shape your tone. For cutting through the mix, it can help, but to my mind I can't imagine how it could compare at this end to a graphic eq.

Anyhow, like I mentioned, not saying any of the choices listed here are bad and mine are better, just posting my experience with EQs and throwing another voice into the quagmire. Hope you enjoy whatever you get! :dude

6. Gumby

Gumby Member

Thanks people, I'm still looking for more info. Moe, you post was very informative, I will google "eq primer" and try to learn more. Thank you.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Two comments:
    The SBEQ isn't parametric, it's a two band shelving EQ as far as I can tell. Parametric EQs require that you be able to set the frequency of the EQ band as well as the steepness of the slope (Q) and the cut or boost. AFAIK the only parametric EQ for guitar out there is the Boss Bass PEQ. Many distortion pedals include a semi-parametric mid control (has frequency and gain but not Q) and Maestro built one of their huge, wedge shaped pedals that was a single band parametric (with presets for Q) but you'll never find one of those :).

As to the EQ-20, mine seemed to hiss like most inexpensive digital pedals, does yours do that?

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

A great pedal for almost no money is the mini Danelectro pedal. I should have kept it but I returned it, this was dumb because now I'd have to buy a used one if I really needed it.

9. Gumby

Gumby Member

Thanks people, I'm still looking for more info. Moe, your post was very informative, I will google "eq primer" and try to learn more. Thank you.

10. omensixaxe

omensixaxe Member

as far as graphic EQ's are concerned, i am intrigued by the EQ-20, especially the memory feature, although im not so big on excess noise, and as its not true bypass, i would imagine im also looking at tone suckage? also, how does it compare to the sniper mod?

11. dzo

dzo Member

I dig my old Boss GE7.

12. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Not a prototype and definitely not parametric (can't change slope or Q). They're all roughly hand painted, and mine looks just like this one, albeit with some variation.

The SBEQ is just extremely musical, smooth and sweet.

13. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

I love my Antelope FX Morning Dew Eq. It offers up to 15db of boost and also serves as a line buffer.

14. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i think he wants us to shut up now guys ... he already posted this 3 times hahaha.

15. beckanon

beckanon Member

right....prototype? All of Bjorn's pedals look this way -- hand painted and written on. Some folks are put off by it, I happen to dig it. The paint jobs are more solid and prettier than in the past.

Some folks are using the SBEQ for their piezo equipped acoustics and acoustic/electrics to help warm up the sound and sweeten a little.

16. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'd like to own a good eq pedal.. The SBEQ looks really interesting. What I've learnt from my studio experience that an unit with couple of knobs that are set just right is far better than millions of knobs and options. I've never like graphic eq's, but that's just personal preference. I somehow maybe think that the visual thing can deceive you thinking you're hearing something you are not. Parametric is much better for me, you really have to use your ears...

But ofcourse this is just personal preference and whatever works for you..

What I'd like to see would be a boutique quality eq pedal with a high pass, low mid parametric, high mid parametric and low pass. Those options with good voicings would make me happy.. The frequencies could be preset for the mids and the boost/cut variable.. Maybe a switch that could select between three different crucial frequencies.. Yeah, I'd buy that pedal..

Come on, someone do this.. Sean, Björn??

17. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My responses:

1) thanks for the clarifications on the SBEQ. I thought it was a pic of a prototype, obviously I was wrong. Btw, I never said the current batch of SBEQs are prototypes; I thought it was a pic of a prototype. Frankly, if I was in the market for a shelving EQ like this one, I'd totally take it up as I have yet to hear a bad word about it. I don't care how it looks, honestly, I'm not performing for how my boards appearance. Besides, unique designs aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, having little flexibility (not parametric, but shelving, similar to the eq on most car radios for example), yet great response (and I know what that's like thanks to my super chile picoso!) can be a great thing, depending on what you want and need.

2) Dr. Bob, I don't get a hiss. My EQ-20 is silent. Maybe I just got a really good one? I use mine in front of my amp with the switch set on Guitar/Bass. I actually never turn that baby off. It's in my loooper (simply because I had to place it between other pedals in my loooper in the signal flow), and when I shut off its loop, my signal suffers. Even in bypass mode, the EQ-20 improves my tone, due to me using mostly TB pedals, and its buffer really does make my sound more robust. Add in cutting and boosting of particular frequencies, and my days of constantly increasing my amps volume during rehearsals are a not-so-fond distant memory.

3) If you're worried about tone suckage, you probably have a pretty transparent rig already. Putting one boss pedal in your chain won't distinctively affect your tone. I'm sure many people on this forum would back me up on this note. Not to mention the fact that most people never shut off their eq pedals anyhow, unless they use them for lead boost. My point being that your tone will sound better with an eq pedal on (and properly tweaked) than without it.

As an aside, I have the manual thing set as my "default" tone which sounds great clean and post-gain, and then switch between the memories for special sounds (like thrash metal....preset number 3 or jazz.....preset number 5). So in the case of the aforementioned lead boost, have a default tone, then stomp on the right switch for your lead boost (preset number 2:AOK)!

Again, if there's one thing I've learned recently, it's different strokes for different folks. An SBEQ serves many of these aforementioned folks well, and it's probably a superior build (components and shizzle). But it is different in what it does than a graphic eq. It's up to what you want out of your eq.

IMO, the main purpose of an eq is to help you cut through the mix. Once you're through, you can start tweaking it to make you sound as good as possible (though you still might sound like crap if you play by yourself). The SBEQ and Morning Dew and likewise are great (and easy!) to make your guitar sound great. A graphic EQ, whilst a bigger learning curve, can also make you sound great and/or cut through the mix. I happened to have found a setting where I sound good solo AND cut through. It's not optimal (e.g., I cut 120 dB so the bass player can use that frequency), but I still sound good solo, to the point where people compliment me.

I hope my very specific and narrow viewpoint is understood. Again, I'm not preaching, this is what my experiences have taught me in conjunction of what I prefer from a band setting. If you disagree, state your view!

*edit* Just read Splatt's post. Take his view into account as well, as he has more experience than I do. My experience boils down to different readings and researching and hanging out with studio guys whilst they mastered, trying to learn what I can, not to mention spending months trying different settings on my EQ-20, due to my continually evolving knowledge on the EQ subject. In my defense, though, I have been rewarded by what I know quite nicely :)

Splatt, I'd love to hear some of your views on EQing, as I'm always up for learning more. Such as hard and fast (or close to it) rules you may have learned about certain frequencies with certain instruments, and whatnot. Also, using the word "monster" doesn't necessarily have to connote a bad thing!