Whats the best practice amp 1x8 or 1x10 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sparky1358, Jan 26, 2008.

1. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

I am looking to buy a practice amp that is easily transportable but can also be used with my bumbox lead 1 head. Using a quick disconnect for speaker.

I have been doing research on the vox da series, and the kustom practice amps. Have some space restrictions..Cant be more than 17 inches wide.

I am curious who has experience with the above amps or diff ones in the same price ranges(under 200 dollars). I really dont want to spend more than that for the purposes of this amp/cabinet.

I was going to just buy a cabinet but I am thinking I might be better off with a cheaper combo so it would be able tos erve two purposes.

Any help would be great!

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

crate v10 palomino!

they are sick and like $180. Very cool greasy el84 tone.... similar to the soldano astroverb, but in a budget package. Also has 10" celestion.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Fender Frontman Reverb. It looks like a toy but it will blow you away. It has amazing cleans, great distortion and surprisingly loud. I plugged it into a Marshall 4 X 10" cab and it roared. A have other amps worth over $3K and this amp never fails to amaze me. I paid $50.00 for mine and just saw one on Craig's List for $20.00. It is 12" X 13" X 7" and has an 8" speaker. You could actually play a lot of small/medium gigs with it. I know its hard to believe and I wouldn't normally believe it either if I told me but this ain't no joke.

4. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

Do they still make the crate v10?

Its not listed on their website

5. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

The Vox Pathfinder 10 and 15 are superb bargain amps in my opinion. I has a Crate V8 for a while, too, but after comparing it to other amps including the Pathfinders and the Fender Champion 600, I really didn't like it so much.

6. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I never could like a 1x8 or 1x10 next to a 1x12....regardless of the amp power....sounded too "small"

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

My advice is to buy a head that you can mod later and
    your choice of a cabinet.

The New Blackhearts are kinda cool in the uber affordable
    class A category.

8. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

+1 on the 15R with 8" Vox/Celestion Bulldog .

9. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

agree on the vox pathfinder 15r... i put a weber alnico blue pup in mine and it's very impressive (also upgraded the speaker wire). one other easy mod is to install a power connector on the chassis and run a proper power chord into it (i have extra ones from my stereo), that also really opened the sound up! oh, with these little guys it really pays to tip them back (either lean them or use an amp stand), otherwise you're just not hearing what the amp is doing.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Check out the new Fender Super Champ XD. For $299 (or less, when GC or Sam Ash has their 20% off sales) you can't beat this 15-watt DSP tube amp that pushes some terrific Fender Tweed, Blackface, Hot Rod, Metalhead, Jazz King and Accoustasonic models, along with some British models thrown in for good measure, through a 10-inch Fender driver. The vibratone, delay, reverb, chorus and tremolo effects are very believable, too. All in a 22-pound package.

I LOVE mine!