1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

What's the best RACK Multi-FX unit for Mod, Pitch & Verb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by everglass, May 18, 2011.

1. everglass

everglass Member

What's the best RACK Multi-FX unit for Mod, Pitch & Verb?

I had and sold an ECLIPSE, I found it to be a bit too harsh and metallic for my liking. I have designated delay units and crunch pedals so I'm just looking for Mod, Pitch and Verb.

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I think the most popular, in my somewhat brief, but recent research and purchase, would be the Lexicon or Rocktron units. I ended up getting a Rocktron and Midi Foot Controller for $160. It has 128 presets and sounds pretty good to me, plus it can keep your original signal analog (although I only use mine for wet effects). It has chorus/flange, phase, pitch, 2 delays, reverb, etc.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

PCM 81 is worth a look , I'm surprised you couldn't adjust the Eclipse to your taste.

4. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

5. sahhas

sahhas Member

i like my lexicon mx200, i'm sure it's not in league w/ the top of the line lexicon stuff, but works for me....

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

very good one. any lexicon will do, actually.

intellifex is also nice.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you're picky about the sound, then you might have to dig a little deeper.

Lexicon stuff is clean sounding, reverbs maybe a bit on the lusher side of the equation, the MPX1 is now inexpensive and gives you quite a bit of control, the Gmajor perhaps a bit less emphasis on reverbs and more on guitar algos. The original 41, 61, 81 stuff is considered really, really good for reverbs, less so for pitch.

The H series Eventides are supposed to sound significantly better than the Eclipse, although they're not as cheap as most older Lexicon stuff (from $800 for the 3000 d/se on up). But if you sold the Eclipse could certainly afford one.

If you got a PCM61 for reverbs and had money left you could get a TC2290 for delays/mods/micro pitch. It's a killer sounding box, even 20 years later... And mixing and matching strengths might be the way to go if you're picky about sound.

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

The older Yamaha stuff is good. I have an SPX 90 and i'd say the verbs and pitch shifting are very good. I really like the symphonic chorus.

9. LensOfMadness

LensOfMadness Member

G-Major is fun, go with the G-Force if you can spare the extra money though. Really good effects all over that thing.

10. JoeyHarley

JoeyHarley Member

Jimmy Herring using an Axe-fx absolutely blew me away, and I'm really an anti-multi-fx-unit kinda guy. was really impressed with the quality of the fx from it and the lack of change in Jimmy's tone.