What's the Best Rig for a One Person Band?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by luv2playm, Jan 13, 2008.

1. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this post, so please bear with me and if there's a better choice, please advise.

I'd like to learn to create and record my own songs, for personal enjoyment and for backing tracks for jamming with friends. Additionally, I'd like to move in the direction of doing some solo electric guitar gigs (I imagine at coffee houses, restaurants, bars, etc.) in which I mostly play some lead lines, accent chords, and sing a little over backing tracks. I'd like to be able to create the backing tracks, although I suppose I could use free or commercially available backing tracks initially.

To be honest, I have virtually no clue about how to best proceed to realize these goals. I'm a total newbie to recording and I have no gear except for electric guitars, guitar amps, basic effects pedals, and a Windows style computer. The only instrument I play is guitar. The style I prefer to play is blues, but I also like to play some jazz and rock.

From what little I've learned so far, I believe I wouldn't have the patience to learn to program drum tracks from scratch, at least not initially. However, I think I could enjoy learning to assemble sampled drum and bass sequences and other sampled instruments into loops and songs for backing tracks.

I would greatly appreciate advice about how to move forward, especially regarding the choice of gear I'll need. I'm willing to spend money for good quality gear that sounds great and has a fair degree of features and flexibility for my purposes.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can offer!

2. grill

grill Member

check into www.sonomawireworks.com i use it and it's very good to start recording. it's got a free demo also.

listen to any of my tunes and get an idea of what you can do for less than $200.