• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

what's the best single channel clean amp you've ever played?

wsaraceni

Silver Supporting Member
im wondering what my options are for a great single channel clean to low gain clean amps are out there. the best i've ever played was the john mayer two rock. but thats a little rare, and very out of my price range. i have a k60 which has great cleans if you lower the volume but i like to play those dirty more. the komet songwriter interests me but im not quite sure how that will be 100%. what other amps should i look at?

classicplayer

I may be prejudiced, but my own Orange Dark Terror can produce a pretty decent clean tone for me. I know that it comes under the category of a high gain type of amp and that's how many owners utilize its tone. I set it up using my Les Paul so that I can get mid-gain on my Les Paul bridge pickup and the middle position and the switch to my neck pickup for a clean r a clean with some edge to it. It's not the
typical use for this Terror, but I never went for high gain anyway, so it does not apply in my case.

classicplayer

teefus

i had a Valvetech custom Hayseed 50 and a Valvetech T-wreck. both were amazing single channel heads.

mallcorn

Silver Supporting Member
im wondering what my options are for a great single channel clean to low gain clean amps are out there. the best i've ever played was the john mayer two rock. but thats a little rare, and very out of my price range. i have a k60 which has great cleans if you lower the volume but i like to play those dirty more. the komet songwriter interests me but im not quite sure how that will be 100%. what other amps should i look at?
Marshall 1959HW - great cleans. The Marshall cleans are more glassy where the Two Rock are more Hi-Fi cleans and the Deluxe Reverb/Super Reverb are more hypnotizing to smokey cleans.

Last edited:

HeavyCream

Honestly DR. But I haven’t played too many high dollar amps. TR was also very nice but I prefer the character of the DR when it’s just starting to slightly breakup.

My first JTM45 on order though. Haven’t played one yet but I suspect it might be the one.

My Milkman Pint combo is so sweet. Unfortunately its 10 watts and breaks up fast even on low input. The dynamics and intricacies of the tone are second to none and it blows away my Mesas which also have nice cleans. Its a special amp. Its also expensive.

I did have a PRS SE 20 with 6v6 that had a great clean, one of my favorites- thick and warm but the gain channel was ice picky. For around 500 bucks used its not bad if you dont need the gsin channel.

Trending Topics