whats the best sounding boogie head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strat1953, Jun 10, 2005.

1. strat1953

strat1953 Member

i like a good fendery clean with some sponge and a classic rock
    od channel with reverb on both.no scooped mid metal tones.

2. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

Mine... ;) Sorry couldn't resist, it's a Mark IIB which I tweaked a bit to sound clearer in the Lead channel which was too boomy in stock condition.

3. userd

userd Member

Does it have EQ?
    What tweaking did you do?

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Try a Lonestar.-Eric

5. covert

covert Member

It's pretty hard to go wrong with anything from the Mk II or III series. The Mk IV also sound great but there are a lot of knobs to play with to find the tones ou want.

6. Lifewithoutpain

Lifewithoutpain Member

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Based on the requirements I'd say Lonestar too. The F50 can get fairly close too on a budget.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

My MKII combo gets classic OD tones and so does my MKIII.

I'd say the MKIII is more versatile and a little more Fendery on the cleans.

You can dial in so many different sounds that it's tough to compare to any one amp. It's got EQ.

I never thought of either amp as very spongey.

Looking to sell, if you're interested e-mail me.

9. hans-jürgen

hans-jürgen Member

No, it neither has an EQ nor reverb, it's the basis 60W head. Back then I couldn't dial in good sounds for the rhythm AND lead channels at the same time, so after much trial and error twisting the knobs I changed the tone circuit caps and gain resistor as well as the caps for the shift switches. Now I'm using it at bedroom level at home for medium crunch sounds most of the time. I'm playing a Tokai Les Paul copy, and the speaker is a self-built Thiele cab with an EV12L.

10. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

Based on waht you say you are looking for a Heartbreaker may be the most flexible amp to get the tones you want. I personally own many Mesa's and my favorite is the Trem-o-verb. It will also give you the tones you want and does a great heavy modern tone also!

11. somedude

somedude Member

Rectoverb....just don't use the modern setting.

Most Mesa's I've tried have had a much stiffer midrange than the more scooped sounding Fenders, so you might have a hard time finding the sponge you're after.

12. Peter C

Peter C Member

+1

Just because you can get a nu-metal sound out of the rectifier line doesn't mean it's the only sound you can get out of it. It's definitely worth taking a look at (and a listen to) the clean and vintage settings.

13. blong

blong Supporting Member

Rectoverb, then the tremoverb. If you twiddle the knobs and not just dime everything, you can pull some killer tones out of a mesa rectifier like rectoverb and tremoverb.

Bob

14. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

For me it's the Single Rectifier Solo 50 head. Nice and simple and a real crunch monster. The clean channel is very good too.

By the way, I hate most Mesa amps, but this is one I could definately live with.

IPH

15. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

I have a Mark III short head that I currently run through a Mesa 1x12 both in blonde. Mine is the red stripe incarnation which is of interest to those into the lore of Mesa Boogie. Here is a link to a site that explains the stripes and what it means to the way the amps are set up.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

The reverb is pretty good and the EQ is a nice feature as well. The gain side is stout and, as you can see from the link, was tweaked in this incarnation to sound more like the IIC+ lead sound that was sought after. I ocassionally run various overdrives through it and it takes them very well giving a little different character to the lead sound.

This amp is a nice setup for gigs as it is easy to carry and portable. The 60 watts can hold its own in any club situation.
    These are pretty reasonable when you find them on the used market. In fact I may be interested in selling mine as I have purchased a few new pieces lately and could use the money! The problem is - they are great amps and I know if I let this one go I may never see the likes of it again. Last week I went to see Andy Timmons and he is currently using a Lonestar, and last night I was a at blues club and the guy there, who sounded great, was using a little Mark IV 1x12 combo!

Oh well - let me know if you are interested.

Regards
    Tone Disciple
    If I win the lottery I will pay off bills as far as it will go -

16. Colt

Colt Member

Try the Lonestar special. We have one at work, it's killer.

17. kram21

kram21 Member

My favorite mesa head is the heartbreaker . The cleans are not shimmery like the fender but they are good.Heartbreaker cleans are improved with a 4x10 cab;the distortion side of the amp is perfect for classic rock, and even more moddern rock[gary moore].