What's the best source for HD500x patches?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ShomerShabbos, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ShomerShabbos

ShomerShabbos Supporting Member

I just bought a HD500x used from a TGPer. Should be here in a day or so. I'm planning on making this my live rig.

What is the absolute best source for patches? Not good, the best.

I'll of course try my own tweaks, but I don't have unlimited time to devote.

Thanks!

2. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I'd start here:
    http://line6.com/customtone/browse/podhd500x/

3. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

This is the best spot I know of too, but I would not treat the patches like gospel. The user's rigs will be different, from pickups to real life power amps and cabinets, so they won't sound the same for you. Also your choice of input level will make a big difference in how they sound. They are a good guideline and place to start, but my best patches have all come from starting with a blank patch, then adding the amp block and getting that right, and then FX as needed. Good luck! The tones are in there!

4. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Not the answer you want to hear but you need to build them from scratch if you want them to be the best for your rig.

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I've never found one that was nearly as good for me as making my own.

It is NOT hard, you don't need hundreds (I typically use only one for an entire weekend of services, maybe 2).

Everyone is different. It would be like asking a complete stranger to set your amp and pedals up and then expecting it to work for you.

imho... not gonna happen...

The good news is this. I'm not lying... it will almost certainly take you way less time to learn to use the unit and create your own patches than it will to find something that's nearly as good for you out there on the internet.

6. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

+1 - and I'll add this (which is full on "in my opinion" I'm sure others will disagree). The best thing to do is to go ahead and learn how to do everything on the unit when it's not hooked up to the computer. The workflow isn't natural, but once you get it, it's actually easier to do almost anything on the unit itself and then when you get on the gig and you want to make a change at full volume you'll be able to do it without thinking. The first couple of times I tried a hd500, I built my patches on HDEdit and then complained about how hard the unit was to tweak. It's not hard to tweak, it's just not intuitive. It's worth it to just learn on the unit, despite the extra few minutes it takes to look stuff up in the manual.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

plus... one... million...

I had my HD 500 for over 2 years before I forced myself to do stuff on the unit instead of through software.

You are not lyin'... There are two or three things that are significantly easier with the software maybe... but for everything else... I was amazed when I found how much easier it was on the unit.

8. ShomerShabbos

ShomerShabbos Supporting Member

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the input!

9. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Glenn sells some great patches that can be used as a great jumping of place for your own patches. Check out his YouTube demos and his website.

http://youtu.be/fWM4LVeWqjE

He also has a few YouTube vids where he goes through patches. There are others on YouTube as well.

10. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

+1

I don't have the POD HD500, but I've recently bought a POD X3 Live. After spending 6-8 hours tweaking, I thought I had a couple of ok tones. Nothing great, just useable. I then proceeded to buy and download Glenn Delaune's patches for the X3 and was blown away! I had no idea the unit could sound so good. I don't even feel the need to use my EPSi for external IR's since the improvement is negligible for me. And his patches needed minimal tweaking on my setup.

If his HD500 patches are anything like his X3 ones, you're in for a treat.

11. jdalf

jdalf Member

Paul Hindmarsh has some patches to get and are good for seeing how a pro builds tones.

Like this:

12. eschatts

eschatts Member

13. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

When the HD500 first came out, there was a user name Franzel. Search his patches on custom tone. Very good starting points.