What's the best tap tempo delay?

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking for a consensus (good luck, I know) on the best tap temp delay for around $400 or under. I'm considering the Memory Lane 2 (and other variations), Flight Time, E2D, TimeLine, Panther Cub, etc...

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
honestly I don't really know enough about delay to know exactly. I know I want tap tempo. And I like warm tones. The features of the Flight Time appeal to me, but I'm not sure digital has a warm enough tone.

sheltone60

FWIW, you may want to add an El Capistan to the list for consideration. I own that and a Timeline and, while the Timeline can do all sorts of cool stuff, I like the sound and feel of the El Cap better. Plus, you can build yourself or buy a favorite switch and you get one preset. Great sounding pedal, better feel to me, smaller footprint.

Turi

Digitech Timebender because it's the best delay, period, and has tap-tempo.
Check this **** out.

Everything in that track is tap-tempo'd.
This will turn into a list of all the delay pedals people currently own though, lol.

theroan

Gun to my head, I choose the Timeline.

But I think the El-Cap among other delays is really special.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Providence chrono dl-4. Has two presets, tap tempo, external tap tempo available which works in preset mode, digital read out of BPMs or Milliseconds, 8 time divisions, and a high end roll off to give pristine repeats or more analog.

Last edited:

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Moog 104m. But it's over your price point. So, I guess a used memory lane :dunno

I had a panther cub and really didn't like it, so not that.

H9 standard might be a good option. They have good analog and digital modeling.

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
Id add the stunning, and cheap, Obscura. Really, it IS that good.

The Flight Time is THE best digital delay out there. So full and 3d and sweet.

As mentioned, Moog MF104m for analog.

Black_Label

DMM tt550. It doesn't seem to get a lot of love with the tt1100 lurking around the corner. But it's a fantastic mn3008 delay with tap tempo.

TimeSnow

If you want warm tones and need presets the only option I'd consider after trying most everything is the E2D.

The Timeline - after using it on tour for over a year - wasn't for me: I found the engines I used to be pretty uninspiring and I didn't use most of the engines. So it went away.

The Flight Time is very cool sounding, but unless you want to invest in a separate midi controller for presets and don't care about stereo, don't bother.

Moog is brill sounding, but again presets are a pain and it's not as flexible as others.

MemoryMen delays - if you like they're sounds and don't care about presets they're ok. But their sound is pretty inflexible IMO.

The other option is to buy all the different flavour delays (Echorec, etc.) and just use a different delay for each song or a few songs. Might be worth considering if that's your thing.

Last edited:

Gillespie1983

Do you need several presets or will none be ok?
BTW. I use an el Capistan for warm, mildly-mangled goodness and a Providence Chrono for pristine, tightly-timed repeats.

DryBones

I had the MML 2 and really liked it. But it was very big and i only used joust one "side" of it and I had a hard time taping its tempo with songs. Learned after I sold it that it reacts to every second tap.

I now have the El Capistan and really like it. Its not as warm sounding but it really is a great delay once you learn how to use it to your preferences. Definitely worth considering.

Trending Topics