What's the best tape delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neosoulchild, May 5, 2015.

1. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

Just recently figured out that this is my favorite type of delay.. I have a Vox Delaylab, and it sounds great, but I've realized I only use the tube and tape echo delay settings.
    I just watched a demo of the El Capistan.. it looks awesome, probably perfect for my needs. I was just wondering what else might be available, as far as a tape delay pedal...

2. Bogner

Bogner Member

For me, the Strymon El Capistan is it. I have tried many many pedals over the 30 plus years I have played and nothing touches it IMO. I also really like the Decco as well for what it does. Strymon makes a fantastic product.

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

I like the Skreddy echo...simple to use and sounds great but it does brighten a tad too much for my liking but it was the best of the ones I tried...to include...

All the others have issues that I can't deal with...things like uncooperative buffers that don't play well with other pedals...volume drop...digital or metallic sounding or brittleness and on and on...

Strymon
    Emperess
    Hermida EPH-3
    and many more

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Not tape but mag disc delay (Binson) recreation.
    [​IMG]

5. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Ooooh, just watched a demo of this pedal, I really like the sound of this one! Thanks for posting this, I've never seen this one before, but I do believe I see one of these in my future.

6. loocnmad

loocnmad Member

Surprised nobody mentioned it but the Catalinbread Belle Epoch gets high praise. I've been looking at the El Cap for a while, too, trying to make up my mind. Don't think you could go wrong either way.

7. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

SIB Echodrive (blue & red).

8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I have a Belle Epoch. Pretty nifty.

9. tterry2

tterry2 Member

I have an Empress Tape Delay and it is awesome! I really like how you have the option for three presets.

ajoep likes this.
  10. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Belle Epoch sounds wicked!

11. Serenity

Serenity Member

12. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I too discovered that Tape Echo Delay was my favorite type. The El Cap and the Empress Tape Delay are two really great pedals that nail that sound and have tap tempo. Lots of TGP members quibble about those with some taking sides, but I feel like they are both excellent. I have not tried the Wampler Faux Tape Echo, but that pedal has fans as well.

If you don't care about tap tempo, then I'd check out the Catalinbread Belle Epoch.

13. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

That pretty well sums up the field. I was using the Tape mode on the TC Flashback then went to the Wampler Faux Tape Echo and couldn't be happier. :BluesBros

The TC got moved to the backup board. ;)

14. popvulture

popvulture Member

Def Skreddy, Belle Epoch.

15. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Definitely a fan of the Wampler Faux Tape Echo. A handful of small adjustments, and it would easily steal the lead for me. My main hitch with it is that it will not do trails. Tap subdivisions would be nice too, but aren't a must have. Otherwise it sounds fantastic.

16. shinksma

shinksma Member

For an alternative sound to the tape delay, look at the Catalinbread Echorec. Smaller than the Echosex shown above. Nails the classic Gilmour-esque Echorec multi-tap drum-head delays, plus a few more oddball echoes the original couldn't do.

17. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

For tape alone I think I like the Empress Tape Delay

18. tnjazz

tnjazz Supporting Member

Agreed. Very pleased with mine.

19. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

Just picked up a Wampler Faux Tape this weekend and I'm really enjoying it

20. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

With a favorite switch the El Capistan is super flexible - I have the regular setting brighter and cleaner, with more repeats and with a little of the built-in reverb added for cleaner, ambient stuff and the favorite set darker and dirtier with no reverb for more rock oriented stuff. I run a ClinchFX preamp right before it and it's pretty darn convincing.
    I also run a Belle Epoch in the lead loop of my board, offset from the Cap at a dotted 1/8th - gives some of the Andy Timmons delay vibe - the preamp and the stronger first repeat are the beauty of that pedal.