What's the best Tremolo pedal ever?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jeffhef, Aug 13, 2005.

1. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

After a lot of experimentation I finally setled on a Diaz Tremodillo. Thanks Tondaddy!!!

I've liked the Keeley modded Boss pretty well and it's a little more flexible. But the Diaz just sounds better to me.

BTW...anyone ever moved a Diaz to a wider enclosure?

jeffhef

2. threm

threm Member

Pedal Doctor might to do that. There`s a Tromodillo page on his site. Combined with the Boss DD-5 rehousing he offers I would think he could do it.
    http://www.pedaldoctor.com/Diaz.html

3. Improviser

Improviser Member

You may wish to consider getting a Monster Effects Swamp Thang ...... basically a sonically improved Tremodillo with all of the problems fixed. Sounds awesome.

Geoff

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

My fulltone Supa-Trem has never done me wrong.... I've never tried a Trem-o-dillo, but I know they're pretty sweet... a friend of mine used to use one a long time ago.... only heard it once and it sounded nice...

5. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

For the last few years I've been really digging my orange Flip tremolo, gets a great swampy tube-bias kinda trem. Breaths like real amp trem, reminds me of the vintage '63 Brownface Vibroverb with tube-bias trem.

6. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

Frantone Vibutron. Square wave, circular wave and triangle wave. Depth knob, no noise, no boost. The perfect tremolo.

When i went trem shopping i gave Zvex, Sib, Trex, Voodoolabs, fulltone, keeley, demeter, sherlock, ehx, roger mayers voodoo vibe a go.
    Frantone won hands down...

The HBE Tramp and Catalinbread Semaphore look pretty good though.

7. eknapier

eknapier Member

I love my Mayer Voodoo vibe, and I love being able to control the speed range with an expression pedal. This is a highly underrated unit (if you can figure out how to use it).

8. threm

threm Member

I have some trem pedals and I agree regarding the Vibutron. Then another hundred will give you the Powerglide. I have both and the Frantone has its own place and charm.

The HBE is quite limited; voice with pronounced mids and a square wave type tremolo that`s very on or off.

9. eric-d

eric-d Member

I DO have to admit, the Supa-Trem is just limited to the Fender sound, I would like for the fulltone to have a british sound also, maybe a rocker switch ....

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Plus it does a very cool stereo pan thing...

11. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I'm surprised nobody mentions the King Trem by Auralux . I loved mine. I got rid of it in my "battery only" days.. great brown face type vibe/trem sound.. needs a proprietary wall wart from what I remember.. AC maybe?.. Great trem......

12. exodus

exodus Member

I have a Swamp Thang-- great tremolo. Also had a Keeley modded TR-2 that was quite good, lots of options. I hear good things about the Demeter-- wouldn't mind trying one, although the 'Thang pretty much does it for me.

13. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I'm new around here but I think the most underrated tremelo pedals is the Zvex trem probe.

Most trem pedals can't do everything perfectly.. They tend to sound far removed or fake and are never as good as a built-in tube tremelo. But the zvex preserves your original guitar tone perfectly while giving you absolute control over the speed and attack of the volume/tremolo control. This results in the most natural sounding slow trem you can imagine simply by moving your foot up and down like a wah pedal. It also has the advantage of easily keeping tempo since you can rock your foot to the beat and not rely on a blinking LCD like the fulltone etc. The only problem is fast "helicopter" type tremelo will be too difficult on your foot... so for this you may need a 2nd tremelo pedal. Anyhow, that's what I use.. a zvex trem probe in front of my amp for slow tremolo and then a zvex seek trem in the efx loop for the fast spacey sounding trem

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Does anyone know of a tremolo pedal that has footswitches to toggle between normal and double speeds, and hard and soft trem? OTHER than the Fulltone Supa-Trem... I had one of those and there was no hard trem, just two varieties of soft. Hard trem is square-wave modulation where the signal actually cuts on and off completely when the depth control is up full - like a Boss PN-2 will do.

(The problems with the Boss are that it's very noisy for some reason, isn't speed-switchable or hard/soft switchable on the fly, and has an awkward speed range due to it being the same control as for the Pan.)

I didn't really like the character (or lack of) of the sweep, or the physical shape and layout of the Fulltone either... sorry.

15. threm

threm Member

Not a pedal but the rather compact 1/2 rack CAE Super Tremolo can do what you ask for except may be one thing. There are two mono audio outputs, outputs for footswitch contrallable temolo A/B, Mode and Bypass.
    The Modes are triangle or square wave. The square wave is very on/off sounding as the Depth knob doesn`t work in this mode. This missing feature might be a problem to some.

[​IMG]

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/SuperTremolo.pdf

16. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Not me! That's exactly what I want :). The ability to footswitch between normal tremolo and on/off stutter. That's even better than the usual hard/soft, since for true stutter you always need the depth up all the way, which will then mess up your normal trem setting if the control has to double for both.

And you're not limited to half/double speed, you can have any combination... and it's speed-controllable with a volume pedal. I think I might have to try one of these!

17. threm

threm Member

Cool, but I forgot the expr output for using a pedal for the trem speed. Another good thing about this box.

18. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

The new Catalinbread Semaphore tremolo is in a word, Awesome! It sounds so good and is probably the most versatile trem I've tried so far. I loved the Vibutron alot too, but this one just does a few more things and sounds just as good.

Greg V., are you using the Guyaone Flip trem on Sunset to Moonrise or is that from a amp trem? Whatever it is, it sounds so good! I'm just blown away by your music. It's honestly the best music I've heard in a long, long time.

19. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Hi Agentcooper2001,

Yes, I used the Flip trem on my entire CD, I really like the round and sweet feel it has, it really becomes part of the note, and it's not cold at all... Thanks for the positive words on my music! I'm grateful you've enjoyed my tunes!
    I'll check into the Catalinbread Semaphore, never heard of it before... so many great pedals coming from all directions :)

20. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

The two best amplitude modualtions Ive heard are the Voodoo labs 4 knobber, and the BJF Mint Green minvibe ( tho it also has other than just amp mod...).....

... but there is something coming in about a month that you trem junkies will really dig :cool: