What's the best way to plug a mic into an effect pedal?

cyberprimate

I know that some pedals like the JHS Colour box have a built-in XLR input, I know that the old crystal mics have the right impedance level for pedals, but outside of these cases what should I do to get some optimal microphone input into pedals? I'm using XLR dynamic mics only.

I know that some pedals like the JHS Colour box have a built-in XLR input, I know that the old crystal mics have the right impedance level for pedals, but outside of these cases what should I do to get some optimal microphone input into pedals? I'm using XLR dynamic mics only.

Any little mic pre will do. There's plenty of little ones. The Eventide mixing link is probably perfect. Otherwise the fancy Meris mic pre is an option in 500 series format if that suits.

Baskervils

I think the JHS Colour Box would work. There are also a few pedals designed to do this. I run everything through a Radial DI.

BvGoKsp.jpg

BhMpMCQ.jpg

RCcjTAz.jpg

Hawkmoon269

Irrational Digitech Fanatic
Silver Supporting Member

Chandyland

Supporting Member
As far as things "made" for this?

JHS Colour Box, Cusack Pedal Cracker, DBA Echo Master, Eventide Mixing Link, or OBNE MAW.

Baskervils

The Radial Pro AV2 DI is handy and would be my first choice, because it accepts ts & trs line level, RCA inputs, XLR inputs and 3.5 mm trs, so you can plug a laptop / tablet in using the headphone jack. The ground and pad functions are also useful. It's a pure utility device, but kind of indispensable.

pR2LB43.png

Baskervils

Can I run the line output of a 'real' preamp (Neve or else) into a pedal ?

I have a Neve preamp and I run everything through it, so yes. However, everything goes through Radial DI before it hits the preamp. I used to go directly from my patchbay to the Neve for line level signals and it worked fine. My Neve only has XLR in. You can get an XLR to female trs cable. The Radial DI makes this easier and you don't have issues with line level (ts) to XLR.

Last edited:

Top Bottom