What's the best way to position a Condenser Mic to record a guitar?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by poloboy286, May 11, 2005.

1. poloboy286

poloboy286 Member

I've got a Shure SMK27. What are some tips on positioning it to get some good sounds and maximize the quality?

2. Bluzsteel

Bluzsteel Member

Put your cans on and move it around , dont be afraid to go above the soundhole or behind it there are no rules , move it until you like it

3. covert

covert Member

Assuming you mean acoustic guitar, start aimed around the place where the neck and body meet, then do what Bluzateel said. BTW, this works with dynamic mics as well.

4. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

There are 2 basic starter positions, which should be adjusted by ear... the first is less than 6" away from where the neck meets the body, usually perpendicular to the guitar face, and pointing anywhere from straight at the neck to angled at the soundhole.

The other is off the bottom bout of the guitar, looking 'up' at the bridge, and maybe even toward the soundhole... again, less than 6" off the face of the guitar, and no lower than the bottom edge of the guitar (when sitting)...

Start with these, and use headphones to adjust position while someone is playing.

If you're gonna combine this signal with a 'room mic', go for a pretty stringy sound (up at the neck, pointed more toward the neck than the soundhole)... if you're gonna combine w/a piezo, go for a throatier sound (at the soundhole from the bottom works for me)

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>What's the best way to position a Condenser Mic to record a guitar<<

If it's for electric guitar, the best way to position it is inside the mic locker. ;)

Hey, I like dynamics on E Gtr, what can I tell ya.