What's the best way to run 2 amps at the same time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ricker, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Ricker

Ricker Member

I want to run my budda sd80 and bogner shiva together at the same time...............what's the best wayt to go about this........ I don't want to a/b them.........just play them together.......
    I was thinking using a 2x12 and having each amp driving a single speaker and then miking up both speakers...............
    The bog has a loose saggy feel and the budda quick and tight............the bogner lower mid enphasis with big bottom
    the budda more upper mids with more top-end roll-off and less bottom but tighter.........together these would sound killer.
    I would then also want to change both amps simultaneously when switching channels.........
    What's the best way to go about this
    ??????????????????/
    Much pre appreciation

Rick

2. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

A simple Morley A/B/Y box allows you to play both at the same time or to switch between them.

3. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

will you miss the sag of the Bonger if you run a tight/fast amp at the same time?

Not being a smart ass, I have done the same kind of thing and just felt like I lost the feel of the slower amp.

But then it mite be just right, have fun!

4. thegame

thegame Member

5. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I hope to have this problem soon as I want an Avenger to go with JCM800. I don't want to loose signal.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Tonebone is a great AB box-the transformer isolation means no ground loop hum which can be a real problem with different amps. Also has the "drag" feature, which means that you can set the input impedance, a straight AB box changes impedance (and therefore pickup reaction to the amp) when you switch in the second amp...

7. Ricker

Ricker Member

Cool thanks guys
    I was hoping there was a simpler way.............like a lead that splits in two but I guess there will be signal loss this way
    I've already got the Tonebone headbone ..........but you can't run two amps simul with this
    I've also got lehle looper ........but this can only switch tween a or b..........So I was hoping I wouldn't have to fork out another $180 to run 2 together.

I actually prefer the feel of the Budda.........so won't be too sorry to loose a bit of the bogner feel

Cheers
    Rick

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

dude, my brother gets a regular ol effects pedal I think for him it is a delay which has two outputs. My tuner has two, but I'm not sure it would work. Get a pedal which has two outputs and run one to each amp. He then uses a volume pedal so he can turn one of them down a litle lower or higher etc. It seems to work well for him.

9. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Either a VHT Valvulator 1 or Axess BS2 will give you a perfect split with no tonal loss...
    Steve

10. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Member

How about just out through some decent stereo split pedal? I bought a Naylor 38 verb 2 x 12 combo out on the road & I wanted to A/B it with my Lightning but I ended up just splitting out of the Line 6 Delay. I have to lose the high input on the Naylor this way but the clean sound between the 2 amps is killer. I also had no idea the Analog Mod setting on the Green Line 6 pedal sounded this good in stereo. I have to screw with the ground on one amp this way to lose 60 cycles though.

11. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I run a Tone king 40B and 65Amps London together (or one at a time) with a Framptone Amp switcher - works like a champ!

12. Ricker

Ricker Member

Thanks Guys
    I'll look into some of the options

Rick

13. move

move Member

pedalpad has an amp/effects router that look interesting, but i have not tryed it yet.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

For just a splitter, Roger Mayer makes a splitter/OD that sells for less than $100 used.

15. DannyDay

DannyDay Member

Try here:

http://www.texasguitarwhiz.com/

Go to the "Products" menu, then click on the "GUitar Splitter" link. If anybody can make a "splitter" it's this guy.

DD.

16. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

+1 for the Framptone Amp switcher. I borrowed a 3 Banger for a while and have to say that it is an amazing switcher.

You can use a Y cable if you want to run them both all the time.

17. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

There will be ground loop hum with a simple splitter. Better to use a transformer isloated unit like a Lehle or Framptone.

18. Randy

Randy Member

+1

I use a Axess BS2 and it works perfectly - it's buffered so there's no signal loss and the outputs are isolated so there's no ground loop hum.

19. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I have the tonebone A/B/Y and it is noiseless and crystal clear. No tone loss and the boost is an extra.