What's the Best Way to Ship a Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FourT6and2, Feb 2, 2008.

1. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

I bought a guitar on eBay and I can either have it shipped to my family's house in Florida and then to me in Japan or have it shipped directly to me in Japn.

But, what's the safest way? The seller has Express Mail International listed. Never heard of it.

But, there's USPS, UPS, and FedEx too...

2. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

Judging from the horror stories of UPS and FedEx, I'd say you'd have better luck shipping it by canoe. I don't know much about shipping them, but I've heard good things about USPS, as much as it costs.

3. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Dan Erlewine - Tips for Packing your Guitar for Shipment

go to the Les Paul Forum http://www.lespaulforum.com

on the left find features and then look for the article in the middle bottom of the frame

covers all the small details to help a horror story from happening

You stationed overseas ? not everybody ships APO addresses

4. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Uh, I'm not asking how to pack the guitar...I'm the buyer...I'm asking what carrier is the best to use.

What's an APO address? I'm not in the armed forces. I'm an English teacher. :)

5. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Well in that case Japan is spelt with two A's.:jo

6. webe123

webe123 Member

Is this for your PRS? If so MAKE SURE they have insurance on it! Also, you may want to use your credit card as extra protection.

This guy shipped a USA dean hardtail via UPS and because the buyer he sold the guitar to, did not pay for insurance, a nightmare happened! He never paid for insurance out of his own pocket either and because it was a $1,200 guitar...it would have only cost around $11 bucks....but if you look at the damage....insurance could have saved him a big headache.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1877861

Scary stuff!

7. artandink

artandink Member

Thanks for the link. I found the article helpful.

8. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Yes, it's for the PRS :)

The seller said insurance is included in the shipping cost, but I will double check and make sure he insures it.

It's such a nice guitar, I don't want it arriving with a snapped neck.

9. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Based on this thread, Guitar disappears in USPS shipment, I wouldn't go USPS. Even though it was insured, it's not fully covered if lost once it hits some destination countries.

You need to use a shipper that will deliver the guitar from point A to point B without handing it off to another courier or another country's mail service. I believe UPS does this. And you need to fully insure it, and make sure it's packed to the standards of the shipper. TAKE PICTURES of it as you pack it, and of the box before it leaves.

UPS takes a lot of flack - they are a HUGE, global company delivering millions of packages. For every story about a guitar getting damaged in shipping, there's thousdands that get delivered every day without incident. I have been fortunate that both FedEx and UPS have always delivered my guitars, both sales and purchases, without damage. But there's always that chance of damage.

Pack well, fully insure...and hope for the best!

10. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

I have no control over how it is packed, nor can I take pictures of it because I am the BUYER. The seller's auction lists Express Mail International as his choice for shipping. I can request UPS, but I don't know how good they are compared to EMI.

11. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Tell the seller that you want the guitar packed securely in it's case with the strings detuned, then you want the case packed inside a heavy duty guitar shipping box filled with packing material(newspaper, foam peanuts, bubble wrap etc) around all sides of the guitar...he can find a guitar box at his local music store. Make sure the guitar is insured for whatever price you paid for it and make sure you get a tracking number so you can keep an eye on things.

Most likely, express mail international will be the fastest means to get the guitar to you. There's not much more you can do, hopefully the guy has a good feedback history and you've communicated with him via email or possibly telephone. Just express your concerns to him and hopefully he'll do his best to get the guitar to you safely. Good Luck!

12. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Member

Thanks for the help.

13. -kk-

-kk- Member

i know they get a bad rep in the US but ive had good experiences with Fedex everytime i used them, fastest out of the lot, and speedy through customs too.

14. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Try Fedex International Priority.

Fedex Int'l is an all together different company from Fedex Ground.

I've used them many times for int'l shipment. Never a problem.