What's the best way to transfer(record) vinyl to computer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dupedd, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dupedd

dupedd Member

I have a turntable that has an onboard preamp in it and RCA stereo outs. The amplifier for the turntable does not have RCA outs but it does of course have speaker outs.

I have an Edirol R-09 portable MP3/WAV 24 bit/48khz recorder with line in(running speakers out of turntable amplifier into the R-09 records pretty well actually, btw).

I have also a MOTU 828MKII audio interface that I use for my normal recording setup with Logic Express 7. I also have a Great River ME-1NV and Two RNPs(FMR really nice preamp).

What would be the best way to do this considering the equipment I have? :bounce

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

The RCA outs of the turntable's preamp should be at -10 dBv line level.

I am assuming you mean the turntable has an actual built in RIAA preamp, as opposed to the tiny signal coming off the cartridge. Most turntables need an RIAA preamp to bring the cartridge's output to line level, and to equalize the signal to the RIAA curve (records are cut with a reverse smile curve so that the needle doesn't literally jump out of the groove with bass notes, etc.).

I'd connect the preamp's outputs to the 828's line inputs. It isn't the ideal solution (the 828 prefers +4dBu) but it will work fine. There are boxes that will convert -10 to +4 (I always have one of these around the studio for emergencies, mine's made by Aphex), but if you aren't having problems with noise, the 828's your best bet and it will likely be fine.

The mic preamps expect much lower mic level input, sometimes only a few millivolts. Don't use them.

Speaker output taps are not a good idea going into ANY preamplifier input, even line level pres, since they put out the much higher voltage needed to drive loudspeakers. You could actually damage something.

If your amplifier doesn't have separate preamp section outputs, maybe it has monitor outputs designed for recording to a CDr or cassette. Those outputs will be line level and will also work fine.