whats the better cheap 1x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by still.ill, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I would go for the Blackheart because I prefer closed back.

2. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Spend a little more and get an Avatar.

3. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

What application is it for? Those are both 16 ohm speaker loaded cabs. That might not be ideal for your use.

4. still.ill

still.ill Member

for a tiny terror or a egnater rebel

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Why are they both 16 ohms? Kinda odd. Both amps are similar, is there something about single-ended class A that merits 16 ohms?

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 That way you can decide what speaker to buy it with for your amp. If I bought one of those chances are I wouldnt be happy with the speaker. Bob

7. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

+2, get an avatar, the build quality on those other two are terrible

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

+1 avatar... open or closed back depend upon your preference and which speaker you choose

9. Ultrastick

Ultrastick Member

Hmmm. I've been thinking about getting a Crate 18v, installing a jack on the back panel, and using it for an extension speaker.

10. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

why not just get the uber cheap crate v212b for $120? then buy some warehouse guitar speakers, with a fairly large closed back 2x12 it should sound pretty decent.

11. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I did that. Bought an old used cheap 1x12 crate amp, took it apart re-built it stronger and used it as a 1x12 cab. A few months later I bought an avatar open 1x12... and wondered why I wasted the time and $50 on that crate. The difference was huge. I had been told, and know I know, the quality of the cabinet definitely makes a big difference.

But some of us are thick headed and have to learn this for ourselves.

12. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

i have a epi valve junior cab with a beam blocker running a tiny terror and I think is sounds fantastic.. I just wish the terror had more power .. but to be honest it might have enough ..its good at practice...

13. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I noticed that the Epi is open back and the Bh is closed. Whats your preference. I prefer open for my primary cab, and closed for my ext. cab. You can't beat the price on those anywhere for the cheapest 1x12. I'll give you that.

Here's the cheapest stand alone cab I know of available at $65.50. http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/2688abe_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ This guy will make it a convertible for no extra charge, so it converts open or closed back. You could put an actual named speaker in it, say an Eminence Texas heat or something for another $70. Your total will be 135.50. I own a convertible, and it's a well built cab with standard dimensions.

14. sliberty

sliberty Member

+1 on the Lopoline as another choice

15. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking too. Funny enough, I have one for sale (not because I don't like it, but because I got the matching Egnater cab for my Rebel). :banana

16. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

with a cabinet the construction to me is very important, birch plywood is what you want and MDF is what you want to avoid, MDF breaks and does not handle getting wet, its also heavy when it should not be, the weight does not make it stronger,

I had the Epiphone Valve special amp, it was a nice amp for what it was, really not knocked out by the speaker.

if you played one or the other it would be easy for you to make the choise, personally I woul go with avatar and get a V30 speaker, that way I know I am getting a known speaker and not some thing someone put in the cabinet to occupy space, for me the V30 is my prefered safe speaker, its in the Mesa Recifier cabinets, and several amps have come with it installed, my fender HRDx Texas Red edition amp and my Marshall Studio 15, its a very efficient speaker so its louder than most. You can get the impedance that you want. Typically the 16 ohm cabinets are intended for extension cabinets for a combo, for the main speakers I would prefer 8 ohms, most amps will run into 8 ohms, and a lot of amps are 4 ohms as well, the 8 ohm will work great with 8 ohms and well with a 4 ohm amp. 16 ohms is really not seen a lot in the amps.

spending $199 on the avatar rather than $160 would IMO be a lot better approach, to get a known speaker may not sound good but its really going to be better in the end, the V30 is one that does every thing very well. The Celestion Vintage 30 is a 60 watt speaker so it can be used with most amps safely, and it does metal well, its pretty much the standard metal amp speaker, Mesa Recifier cabinet, Bogner Ubershall use the Vintage 30s, but it also does most music as well.

http://avatarspeakers.com/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The V30 does everything well for you!- Sorry V30 hater here!lol! However a known good cab(Avatar) with a choice of known good speakers is the way to go for a bit more money. Bob

18. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

V30 haters are usally the guys without the V30s in their amps, and they are embarrassed by those of us with the V30s.

:RoCkIn