• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What's the big deal about Bogner?

sosomething

from my roommate who does not play guitar at all. i borrowed her ears for a few minutes to do a listen-by

slo - feels like i'm at a rock concernt
fuchs ods100 - feels like that belongs in a studio
xtc - feels like i'm rocking out really loud on my ipod
deliverance - why to effin loud i'm leaving
From that group I would pick the Deliverance any day and twice on Sunday.

JamminJoe

I also have a Metropolis. It's the AC30 amp that I've always been looking for. Absolutely great master volume that allows me to dial in tones from pristine clean to gritty to distorted (only to hard rock levels which is all I need) - at any volume I want which is pretty darn incredible. So many usable sounds on this that I'm tempted to try out a Bogner channel switcher like the Shiva (my experience has been that channel switchers are always a compromise). There are some great clips of the Metropolis on the Bogner site.

diagrammatiks

From that group I would pick the Deliverance any day and twice on Sunday.

ha me too I think. I'm getting an ultralead in just to make sure...
as of right now the deliverance + scumincos in a zbest 212 might be god's gift to baritone guitars.

I've got the slo for my e standards.
fuchs for the tele.

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
XTC 20th Anniv red channel with boost on had as much again as my SLO, IMHO

I agree about the different emphasis in the mids; I thought the SLO had a bit more lyrical or singing tone. But the differences were not huge.

I do prefer the simpler layout of the SLO, too.

germs

i honestly don't know either.

in my own recent tonequest, i ended up with Orange. i had the budget set on used high-end boutique or new off-the-rack high-end. i did the legwork, travelled to different (nearby) cities, hunted and searched out locally (surprised by the amount around me, actually)...

i didn't really care for the Bogner, Diezel, VHT, Mesa etc etc.

spent SIX MONTHS researching and playing, walked up to an Orange, plugged in, and "KNEW" this was MY amp. i play all the stuff that's normally associated with the competition too. modern rock, metal, hard rock, gain, distortion, overdrive, cranked volumes, stages, backline...but the Orange was mine.

specifically, the Bogner didn't have the immediate response or attack that i like. the tone was VERY very good, but just not "me."

just goes to show, different strokes.

Jim S

I played a couple of Orange amps and some of the were down right fantastic for high gain.

And they look so cool.

se7en

i honestly don't know either.

in my own recent tonequest, i ended up with Orange. i had the budget set on used high-end boutique or new off-the-rack high-end. i did the legwork, travelled to different (nearby) cities, hunted and searched out locally (surprised by the amount around me, actually)...

i didn't really care for the Bogner, Diezel, VHT, Mesa etc etc.

spent SIX MONTHS researching and playing, walked up to an Orange, plugged in, and "KNEW" this was MY amp. i play all the stuff that's normally associated with the competition too. modern rock, metal, hard rock, gain, distortion, overdrive, cranked volumes, stages, backline...but the Orange was mine.

specifically, the Bogner didn't have the immediate response or attack that i like. the tone was VERY very good, but just not "me."
What Bogner did you play?

john l

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless of the make Ive allways found something special in Bogner designs. Theres allways something each one does differently that makes me play my ass off. My Ubers Master Volume is superb, I could play a coffee shop with that if I had to and not feel the need to keep turning it up. Ive also never had one issue with it going on 5 years now. Great amps that arent just copies of other amps ya know.

GibsonLives

I've tried a number of Bogners and Riveras at a local dealer of both, and I can honestly say I wasn't blown away either. Well-made, quality amps with nice overall tones, to be sure, but they all fell short for me on dirt. I suppose a Tweed clone might also, and it just goes to show how big the boutique market is nowadays, and that not everything will work for everyone. I'm just glad to live in an era with so many choices. Now, if only the prices were more affordable for a broke sumbish like me.....
Steve

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
In reply to most of you fellows looking for what amp does it for me, I really dig the Orange stuff, mostly the Rockerverb 50. I just bought a Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage II that I'm really hitting it off with. I think for me, the clean channel is just as important as the dirty.

The Bogner stuff just didn't do it for me, which is definitely just an opinion, everybody's tonal ear is different and that's understandable. I suppose it's just that I've noticed that you see a lot of bands start out with Marshalls, then get some cash and grab Mesas, and then they're on tour and getting endorsed by or endorsing Bogner. After posting this, I did try out a Shiva EL34. It was still just ok. It wasy noisy. The 6L6 version I played a year ago was noisy, too. And same with the 101B--THAT BEAST WAS NOISIER THAN ANYTHING I'VE EVER PLAYED!

I just returned from a trip to see my family for a funeral, but I will be reading all of these posts. I didn't realize I'd start a topic that reached 4 pages. Keep 'em coming though. Post some pics of your Bogners if you'd like.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
What is the actual purpose of this thread? Does the OP really just want to connect with others who dislike Bogners? What exactly would you guys talk about?

Wanted to reply to this, as well. The answer is: I was looking for people who could either say, "Hey, yeah, I kinda see what you're saying, so this is what I play..." or "Well, sir, maybe you haven't tried it like this--here are my settings, etc..."

I think that's fair. Not to mention, my disclaimer. I'm sure there are tons of "haters" out there. Not this guy. You give me a tube amp and I'll dig in.

diagrammatiks

i think the thread turned out pretty well after all the wtf bogner is the best ever guys went away.

I had a rv100 for a while...i liked it to a point. I just didn't think it was as exciting as the stuff I tried after.

for the record here's the high gain heads I've owned at one point or spent extensive time with at my buddies shop

mesa tremoverb, orange rv100, thunderv100, dt, tt, laney gh100l, hk triamp mkii, soldano avenger, super lead overdrive, hotrod 50+, bogner xtc, rivera ktre, vht deliverance, splawn quickrod.

I'd be happy with any of those amps, but given a choice some of those are definitely favorites.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I might have a hard time explaining this to ya, but what the heck, I'll try...

Ya know what it is about the Bogner for me - IT'S GOOD ENOUGH. It (an EL-34 NR Shiva head and matching OS 2x12) does everything I need GOOD ENOUGH. I spent years trying to find the ultimate 3 channel head for an 80's thru modern rock cover band. Nothing ever lived up to the concept I had in my head.

I kinda stepped backwards into a Shiva, but it just works for me. After 2 years and 100+ gigs, it works damn well for me. The clean channel and the gain channel are GOOD ENOUGH. Good enough tone, good enough feel, and good enough reliability. It's enough of a Fender and enough of a Marshall to get the job done. I don't think about it anymore, and that makes me happy. I set it and forget it. I use a wah and an overdrive pedal, and I can get any tone I need.

I guess, after all the Marshalls, Fenders, Matchless, Bad Cat's, Mesa's, Splawn's, Soldano's, and everything else I've owned - the Shiva made me happy.

YMMV,

Stormin!

ukslinger

I've only had the XTC for a few days but it seems pretty versitile. I was going for a channel switcher that would give me at least two good sounds; clean and highgain. Hopefully I can get a nice transition of mild overdrive out of the other channel, too.

Its the best highgain channel switcher I've tried so far but its only been in home use at this point. The voice on the red channel has its own thing going on but I like my results so far. I think its an amp that after some time I'll have it dialed in pretty close the what I'm looking for.

But the feel is different. Its not that immediate and thats taking some getting used to. But overall a nice amp with a ton of options. It works better for me than some mesa's i've tried and the Fryette Sig X.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I might have a hard time explaining this to ya, but what the heck, I'll try...

Ya know what it is about the Bogner for me - IT'S GOOD ENOUGH. It (an EL-34 NR Shiva head and matching OS 2x12) does everything I need GOOD ENOUGH. I spent years trying to find the ultimate 3 channel head for an 80's thru modern rock cover band. Nothing ever lived up to the concept I had in my head.

I kinda stepped backwards into a Shiva, but it just works for me. After 2 years and 100+ gigs, it works damn well for me. The clean channel and the gain channel are GOOD ENOUGH. Good enough tone, good enough feel, and good enough reliability. It's enough of a Fender and enough of a Marshall to get the job done. I don't think about it anymore, and that makes me happy. I set it and forget it. I use a wah and an overdrive pedal, and I can get any tone I need.

I guess, after all the Marshalls, Fenders, Matchless, Bad Cat's, Mesa's, Splawn's, Soldano's, and everything else I've owned - the Shiva made me happy.

YMMV,

Stormin!

I think I like this reply the best. Definitely makes sense.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
After posting this, I did try out a Shiva EL34. It was still just ok. It wasy noisy. The 6L6 version I played a year ago was noisy, too. And same with the 101B--THAT BEAST WAS NOISIER THAN ANYTHING I'VE EVER PLAYED!
Methinks your amp dealer needs to take better care of his/her amps. I can't speak for all of Bogner's line, but the Shiva really isn't a noisy amp by any means. It may have a really unique sound to it that is polarizing (sag and compression with a loose low end and more of a lower mid emphasis), but it's never been a very noisy or bothersome amp.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
i love some of the bogner amps, myself;
i used 2 ecstasy amps on "friday night lights" (the movie),
and they were deadly.
i have the amp that became the prototype for the duende & goldfinger series,
and it's nothing short of unique.
i love the goldfinger, esp. w/2x bogner 2x12 cabs.

but, afaic:
there is no "big deal".

you like some amps, i don't;
i like some amps, you don't.
alright!
just the way it goes.
there's no "big deal" in that, imo;
whatever floats yer boat, & keeps you happy enough to play yer best.

dt / spltrcl

Stu/Fat Sound

I believe that part of the "big deal" is simply that they are a historically significant amplifier company. They've have been around a long time so a ton of folks have owned them and either loved them or not. There are a lot of choices out there now, but in the early 90's Bogner was truly a groundbreaking company delivering tones that previously folks, like me, had only heard in their heads.

Bogner, along with Soldano, VHT and CAE, were the first, somewhat accessible, high-component-grade, PCB, multi-channel, "boutique" amps available at a time when Mesa ruled the roost and, love 'em or hate 'em, were considered *the* multi-channel boutique standard. These other four came along almost simultaneously and kind of blew the roof off of what people expected from a multi-channel amp in terms of tone and price.

I've owned a 101B since 1994. At the time that I bought it, and we weren't a dealer for them yet....that came 3 years later, the Blue channel allowed me to dial in the *exact* tone I had been searching for for many years.

I still love the amp, even though I think the Anniversary model was a nice leap into the 21st century and a substantial improvement, but since '94 I've slowly gravitated towards lower gain, single channel amps with the exception of the PWE Event Horizon and the 20th Anniversary Shiva which offered a quantum leap over its predecessor.

So, since '94 my tastes have changed somewhat, but I still feel the magic every time I plug into the XTC's Blue channel. The Red channel's higher gain settings were always too compressed for me when run as a step above the Blue channel gain-wise so I've run that channel in Plexi mode from month one of ownership. In my case CH3 is actually set to behave like it's CH2 on the amp i.e. a step up from CH1 followed by my highest gain setting which is CH2 in Hi Gain Structure mode.

I think that given what was available in the early 90's, the XTC is a historically significant, multi-channel amp as is the SLO which I've also owned (a couple of times) and really liked....especially the clean and crunch modes, but not quite enough to keep.

An enormous number of great multi-channel amps have come out since '94, but I have never felt the desire to let my XTC go. For me, there's just something about it that can be magical and inspirational.

The sag is part of what I like about it. It definitely puts me in a comfort zone when playing live.....like I'm laying back into a mattress rather than being pushed off the front of the stage.

In summary, I think the big deal is how early they entered the multi-channel boutique genre, how they changed player's perception of what an amp costs (in '94 $2700.00 was an almost absurd amount of money to pay for an amp) and how much of a groundbreaking and innovative company they were and remain today only today they have a lot more competition who are also doing some mighty fine multi-channel designs therefore there are many more choices/brands to discuss/debate in this arena.

Last edited:

shadesofgray

Bogner amps sound good and are reasonably priced.
Maybe not the best amps on the market, but does that really matter?

Trending Topics