What's the big deal about Bogner?

papersoul

Supporting Member
E verytime I play my 20th Shiva with EL34s, the tones in my head, come through the cabinet. The feel, harmonic content is all there, none of the fuzz of hair I hear with some amps, just smooth, thick, chesy, can be aggressive, sweet, just a pleasure to play. Bogner is my amp company I am finiding. Different strokes. Who knows, maybe there are other amps I would like better but I don't have the time to go around trying most of the boutique amps I would like to try and many can't be found locally. I took a chance ordering my Bogner and love it.

amdowell

Supporting Member
Whoa! Nearly a year later haha! I have to say, since I first posted I've played a few Bogners and really, really enjoy them. About a year ago I was having a tone crisis. Turns out I didn't hit what I like to call "tonal puberty." The Shiva's are my favorite though, followed by the Uberschall believe it or not. Would love to try a Goldfinger!

LSchefman

I had a Metropolis that was simply brilliant in tone, and the schizo switch made it even more interesting. Traded it in for a Bad Cat that switched channels, and actually both were great amps. I wish I had both of them.

Unfortunately, at the time, I was all about trading even the good ones in to try new ones, that I now recognize was part of the experimentation jones I suffered from.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have the good ones I wound up trading as well as the good ones I traded for! The Metropolis was a should-have-been keeper.

wizard333

No idea. Build quality is good but not great, generally over-filtered to the point of being super stiff feeling, which I hate......ok tone if I ignore the stiff feel but there are lots of other amps with as good or much better tone.

drewl

I've worked on quite a few, not very impressed with the build quality, chassis design is a pain to get in/out of box, chassis' bend quite often.

dr.morton

I believe that part of the "big deal" is simply that they are a historically significant amplifier company. They've have been around a long time so a ton of folks have owned them and either loved them or not. There are a lot of choices out there now, but in the early 90's Bogner was truly a groundbreaking company delivering tones that previously folks, like me, had only heard in their heads.

Bogner, along with Soldano, VHT and CAE, were the first, somewhat accessible, high-component-grade, PCB, multi-channel, "boutique" amps available at a time when Mesa ruled the roost and, love 'em or hate 'em, were considered *the* multi-channel boutique standard. These other four came along almost simultaneously and kind of blew the roof off of what people expected from a multi-channel amp in terms of tone and price.

I've owned a 101B since 1994. At the time that I bought it, and we weren't a dealer for them yet....that came 3 years later, the Blue channel allowed me to dial in the *exact* tone I had been searching for for many years.

I still love the amp, even though I think the Anniversary model was a nice leap into the 21st century and a substantial improvement, but since '94 I've slowly gravitated towards lower gain, single channel amps with the exception of the PWE Event Horizon and the 20th Anniversary Shiva which offered a quantum leap over its predecessor.

So, since '94 my tastes have changed somewhat, but I still feel the magic every time I plug into the XTC's Blue channel. The Red channel's higher gain settings were always too compressed for me when run as a step above the Blue channel gain-wise so I've run that channel in Plexi mode from month one of ownership. In my case CH3 is actually set to behave like it's CH2 on the amp i.e. a step up from CH1 followed by my highest gain setting which is CH2 in Hi Gain Structure mode.

I think that given what was available in the early 90's, the XTC is a historically significant, multi-channel amp as is the SLO which I've also owned (a couple of times) and really liked....especially the clean and crunch modes, but not quite enough to keep.

An enormous number of great multi-channel amps have come out since '94, but I have never felt the desire to let my XTC go. For me, there's just something about it that can be magical and inspirational.

The sag is part of what I like about it. It definitely puts me in a comfort zone when playing live.....like I'm laying back into a mattress rather than being pushed off the front of the stage.

In summary, I think the big deal is how early they entered the multi-channel boutique genre, how they changed player's perception of what an amp costs (in '94 $2700.00 was an almost absurd amount of money to pay for an amp) and how much of a groundbreaking and innovative company they were and remain today only today they have a lot more competition who are also doing some mighty fine multi-channel designs therefore there are many more choices/brands to discuss/debate in this arena.

One of the best posts ever.
Thanks!

notnac

Like any tube amp you have to crank em to get the best tone. Often guitar stores don't really let you blast them.

Slowlicks

I think Bogner builds nice circuit board amp. Just not worth what they ask for them.
I have a 98 Marshall DSL 2000 I'm sticking with. I haven't played through any other amp I like as well for my playing style.

fenderheavy

My XTC 101B is a pretty stellar amp. My only complaint is the weight and bulk. When I have a large stage and venue I bring it out with both 212 cabs and get to turn up the heat. Amazing tone. Clear, defined, articulate, outstanding. Most gigs I use a DRRI with KOT pedal. I'd say the hype is justified. I love it. No regrets writing that check.

se7en

No idea. Build quality is good but not great, generally over-filtered to the point of being super stiff feeling, which I hate......ok tone if I ignore the stiff feel but there are lots of other amps with as good or much better tone.
Bogner, super stiff? You sure you played a Bogner? Every one I've played is anything but.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Gold Supporting Member
Bogner, super stiff? You sure you played a Bogner? Every one I've played is anything but.
yeah.
weird, huh?
i've never heard that, before, either.

dt / spltrcl

SAVAGE BEAST

What Stu said..... I am on my 3rd XTC and I will never sell this one (ha). It is my fav amp of all time and I have had many hi end and low end amps. To each his own for sure but the XTC101B is where it's at for me. The blue channel is killer.

Burst59

I think the big deal is they are the best amps I've ever owned and have the best customer service in the business. I've never had any of my Bogner's fail on me ever. I own 3 an Ecstasy 101b, Classic 101b and a Shiva Combo.The 101b is the best amp I've ever played through and is an instrument just like my guitar. I've had my 101b be for 2 days now and it's hands down the best amp I've ever owned and I've owned 40 to 50 of the best amps made. Now that I have the 101b I'm done playing through anything else.
It pretty much does anything, and if you cant get it to sound good then your not a good player or your using the wrong setup. Seems like there is a new amp of the month these days but the 101b has always been there and is still the best in my opinion. Reinhold Bogner is a genius.

Last edited:

robertkoa

I used to think that Bogners were maybe somewhat over rated until I heard demos of the Goldfinger- lots of excellent to great cleans ( 6V6 warm nice cleans, like good Fender ) THEN the cleans can be overdriven into FAT Blues/Hendrixy cleans and light overdrives, THEN there's two Marshallesque channels which remind me of some of my favorite Marshall tones on albums again warm and fat, smooth .

So that opened my ears to Bogner NOT being over rated and he probably has other stuff that's great also.

Just my opinion and I'm no authority on Amps , which is one of the reasons I'm on here ...........

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
My Ecstasys blow my mind when I crank them up about 75% of the way through my Bogner 4x12 loaded with EV SRO and 12L speakers. Unfortunately, the volume level going on at that point is completely unusable for 99.9% of the gigs I do, including outdoor amphitheaters and stages.

But, it is a tone and feel that I wish every guitarist could experience. Totally amazing and a feeling of COMPLETE POWER! Playing is SO EASY as the harmonic content is ridiculous and alive creating an incredible synergistic resonance between the guitar and amp. Like most great tube amps, the true expression and genius of the amp design is completely lost at music store volume.
Wow.. I'm sold:horse:horseJ

James BCM

Had the dealership with bud of mine for a while.

Never really got the "yea, we are only building Shiva's this week" response from the factory and then Uberschalls were 6 months out on a waiting list. Had an Uber fail, clean channel went completely out. Yea, it's a lousy clean channel, but it should have worked as amp was being used in a paid session in our studio.

I agree, chocolate and vanilla, some like them, some don't. We didn't, and got rid of the dealership. Have never looked back, but all the best to Reinhold and his crew. Charlie was in fact very good to deal with when problems arose.

LB
BCM

Dspec1

I bought my Duende 18 watt three years ago. It still gives me serious happiness. The amp is like an instrument.

I tried a couple of 101Bs and a 20th ann. Shiva head and they all impressed me to no end. I think it really depends on personal tastes.
Absolutely. Ive owned an older shiva, ecstacy 101B, a duende, and played the goldfinger. They are actually all very nice amps if you think of them as tools for a specific sound. I own a Custom made 20th Anniversary shiva and this one is by far the best of all the bogners in versatility, playability and character of tone. Im a professional music producer so I feel strongly theres is no be all end all amp. You choose an amp for IT's sound and not for what you want it to be.

I've owned Divided by 13s, 65Amps, BadCats, Marshalls, Fenders, Vox, and tons of other crap too. But Bogner's got some good ear. My two favs now are the 20th Annniv Shiva and my Diezel Einstein. Both dope amps.

RSRD

20th ann. Shiva is the best 2 channel amp Ive ever played in my 25 years.

Trending Topics