What's the big deal about Deluxe Reverbs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by co-intelpro, Mar 11, 2006.

1. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I am just wondering what all the hype is about regarding these amps. It seems, within the last little while, they have been skyrocketing in price...

What gives? You could buy one for way under a grand only a few years ago. Now they are going through the roof! This is not the same for other high priced Fender amps. Seems pretty steady pricing for the rest. Then again, I could be wrong...

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Beats me, and I have a blackface in very good shape.
    Some guys absolutly LOVE those amps.

3. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

Lightweight, 1x12 combo, 6V6/22 watts, reverb, trem, and that killer Fender tone = the perfect package

Speaker swap to taste :cool:

4. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Its a killer amp. I got my '66 BF Dlx Rev about a year and a half ago for $1500.00 which at the time I thought was steep. It had the original oxford, and mostly original electronics, which I switched out the speaker and popped some new capacitors and such in but I still own all the old stuff.

I saw a Dlx Rev at True Tone in Santa Monica, CA this past Wed for roughly $3500.00 without tax! Made me feel good.

I love the tone, warmth, and versatility of the Dlx Rev. Killer amp through and through.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

great amp for that "Fender Sound" in smaller clubs.

I have an Allen "almost-a-DR-clone" coming soon....looking forward to it!

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

That is exactly it. They deliver the classic BF Fender sound at a volume level most people can deal with. Some of the larger BF amps are much better values (Twin & Pro Reverb) but are too powerful for most. If you can't turn these up to 6-7 you are missing much of what the amp is about.

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It's a basically good sounding amp. Some of them sound great. They have a great studio reputation. They are old.

Put that all together and the vintage crowd will never leave them alone. Same as it ever was.

When I was bidding on ebay for a Garnet Session Man, this other bidder ran me up quite a bit. I didn't know what it was really worth, so I had bid about $100 more than I should. But this guy apparently wants to collect a lot of Garnet amps as part of a campaign to get Gar Gillies elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and make an exhibit of his amps. Who knew? The history dollars are everywhere.

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

watts/size make it a very practical amp. Very versatile and GREAT tone. It's got a lot going for it.

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

Personally, I think that the BFDR is a very overrated amp - but, that's just my opinion. When these amps were originally made, Fender priced these amps at a discount to the Pros, Supers and Twins. Now, DRs sell at multiples to these amps. Part of it is that, as was noted, most folks can't make much use of the louder amps.

But, I also think that this has a lot to do with fashion and following the pack. DRs were just another BF Fender amp until Aspen Pittman decided they were one of the top 10 amps of all-time in his book (don't remember the title) in the the early 90s. Then, everyone decided they were great, classic amps.

Tonally, I think they are very overrated. BF Fenders excel at cleaner sounds for country, r and b and arguably some blues. For clean sounds, you simply cannot beat the TR. If you want more breakup, I think the Princeton Reverb sounds better, and I don't even like 10 inch speakers. Also, I think the Ampeg amps of that era such as the Reverberocket and Gemini are somewhat similar in tone and volume and are comparable in terms of build quality - but sell for about 1/4 of DRs.

DRs are nice amps, but the prices on those things are loony-tunes IMO.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I am just not a Fender amp guy, period.

I like the tone of the amp, and the Fender cleans are the sheet, but it is just too mushy for me.

11. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I'd be curious to know if the other bidder had some sort of connection to Winnipeg. I grew up there and Gar was a local legend in those days. I've bid on a few of his amps and I have to admit, there's always a bit of emotion and sentiment when I do (although apparently not THAT much because I've never actually won an auction for a Garnet amp :) ).

BTW, I think there's good reason for the recent success of the Deluxe, both old and new, Fender and Clone. For anyone after that low gain Blackface tone, the Deluxe is a really practical package. It's small enough and light enough to haul around without blowing out your back. You can play it past the breakup point in your home and not have your wife divorce you. You can play it below the breakup point and get wonderful cleans with a fair amount of headroom and it's loud enough to play small clubs. I don't consider it the best sounding blackface (type) amp, but it's probably has the most real world applications.

12. Reeek

Reeek Member

Not to hijack this thread but I've bid on many Garnets too, with steep intrigue to boot but like you, I've never taken it to the level of winning an auction on one yet. I wonder if riverastoasters and I were watching that same Session Man auction . . . It wasn't me running it up though :D In fact I only start bidding in the last 60 seconds or less typically.

13. brad347

brad347 Member

Many argue that it is the best all-around guitar amp of all time. Perfect volume for jazz (turned down a little, no breakup but some warmth). Turn it up a little more (around 6 or 7) and it's the perfect tone and volume for blues. Dime it and it's the perfect rock rhythm tone and volume.

35-38 lbs and small, you can carry it on the subway no problem. A pro is just too big to do this, and a princeton is just too small to cut the gig (and doesn't sound as good cranked anyhow).

If you want a little more volume and sweetness plop 6L6s in the DR re-bias and fire away!

Really, I'm finding that with my deluxe (non-reverb) I don't need anything else; reverb is just icing on the cake. Many people claim to "need" it though. So that's why :)

a non-reverb deluxe can still be had for reasonable $$$. I also got a 6G15 reverb so I can have that if I need it and have a free hand to carry it. All for cheaper than current DR prices!

14. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

I think the bigger question has to do with vintage Fender pricing in general. The dealers just keep jacking them up and I guess someone is paying it. BTW what does a vintage reseller actually do other than mark up used equipment higher than they paid?

15. brad347

brad347 Member

they provide a selection of vintage gear for someone who wants to get the specific thing they want to come in and try out different things, browse an inventory, and pick out what they want. Same thing a high-end violin shop would do.

16. larrylover

larrylover Member

[/quote] but it is just too mushy for me.[/quote]

+1,000. Always turned me off about these amps.

17. John55

John55 Member

I have a love/hate relationship with BFDRs...love the size, weight and volume levels, but don't care for the flubby bass and somewhat harsh OD tones many of them exhibit. They are a great little amp, ruggedly built and easy to work on, but they aren't worth what some shops are asking these days. IMO, the best BF tone comes from a Super or a Twin but both of these have volume and weight issues.

18. brad347

brad347 Member

I'm telling you. Put some 6L6s in there and realize "the dream." You may have to change one resistor in the bias circuit but that's easy/cheap for your tech to do. The OT in this amp is actually a better match for the 6L6 than for the 6V6!

You may never go back.

19. mbratch

mbratch Member

BFDR's aren't everyone's cup of tea. But it may arguably be one of the most recorded amps ever. Certainly. the Beatles made really good use of them on Abbey Road. :)

For me, it's a great amp playing on it's own in a medium size club/cafe and maybe a small cafe. But frankly, it's almost too loud for the latter. It's one heck of a loud 22W! And in most venues I mic the amp into a PA. So for me, and like most people, I want even less than 22W on many occasions, which is probably why the Princeton Reverbs are now starting to go through the roof. A BFPR would be perfect for my needs in most cases. I do have a BF Princeton (non-reverb) which I play at around 8 on the volume and it remains mostly clean. It has a gorgeous tone, with a Celestion Vintage 10 (G10) speaker. My only gripe is weak tremolo. I can get a nice reverb/delay with pedals through this amp.

20. Colt

Colt Member

They're badass. That's why. hahaha

I wouldn't buy one at today's prices though..holy ****...

I mean, I can buy a mint super for 1500 still.....