What’s the brightest and most mid scooped Celestion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PSaulino, Jul 12, 2018.

1. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

Alnico Blue? Looking for suggestions.
    Amp is an 18 watt Super Champ (very middy) in a cab that fits a 12” speaker.

2. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

3. chance0

chance0 Member

The V-Type has about 4 dB boost in deep bass above nearly all other Celestion 12" speakers. It also has about the same boost in the very high end. That equates to about a doubling of perceived output volume in those regions of the frequency range. However, even then it's more subtle than you might think because bass and treble are heavily attenuated in most guitar speakers already.

The Eminence Reignmaker yields an incredible 9 dB boost in bass at full attenuation. You can really notice the "boost"--the low-end extension is powerful. And the treble is very forward and airy at any level of attenuation. But you will sacrifice overall volume to get the bass boost.

My Alnico Blues seem mid heavy with less air and bottom than a V-Type. If you look at the freq. response curve of most guitar speakers, they will show a flat mid bump from 200Hz all the way out to 3kHz with only a narrow notch at 1.6kHz. So most every speaker is mid-forward.

4. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

You might like the Creamback M65.Although the mids are there, I found them overpowered by the bass and brightness, making it sound scooped to my ears.

5. De Batz

De Batz Member

I reckon you'll find that it's the H-magnet speakers that have the most bass and treble, and in my experience at least it's the H-30 that sounds most clear in the midrange. I use one in a deluxe, and it's great.

riffmeister, Seth L, JDutch and 3 others like this.
  6. grumphh

grumphh Member

4 answers, 4 different speakers so far. Not bad at all. :D :D

If i throw in the Sidewinder, we are up to 5 different answers already.

...just how many speakers did Celestion make? After that number of posts this thread should die a quick death :)

7. dpark89

dpark89 Supporting Member

G12H30 70th anniversary or the Hellatone 30 (Same speaker but just broken in from Avatar).

Not sure if it’s the brightest and most mid-scooped, but works beautifully with my Swart AST Pro, a similarly middy amp. It had the G12H 55hz Heritage in there originally, but I much prefer the anniversary. Less bass overall, but much more even response and nice clarity throughout.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  8. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

Perhaps Jensen?:dunno

Fender Blackface users like them and that's a pretty scooped tone.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

If your suggesting an alnico or an M...then we are not connecting on mid scooped.

G12-h30
    G12k
    Heavier magnet 75hz cones

Seth L and buddy7168 like this.
  10. De Batz

De Batz Member

Why a Celestion, by the way? I ought to mention that my G12H is actually a Tayden, not a Celestion - it's the 'Great Brit', I think, which was their G12H model and closest to the Anniversary 30. I had the Anni in a little combo years ago, and it was superb in that application giving clean sounds a clarity that Greenback M type speakers don't have. You do sacrifice something in the drive sounds (namely that sizzly midrange that the Greenbacks do so well) but I find that an easier compromise than the wooly clean sounds out of a GB. I also prefer the H-30 to the V-30 for most things, but the Vintage is more user-friendly with is 60W rating.

On a separate note, I've got P10Rs in a 4x10, and I would say that they are properly honky in the midrange. You end up with very different sounds - not better or worse, but very different indeed - as compared to 12s of either M or H lineage. I haven't had the pleasure with Jensen 12s, though.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Member

Gotta be the G12H30 30th Anniversary. It's got big highs and lows, less mids than other Celestions. I have a WGS Reaper HP(a 50 watt version of that Celestion) in a Dr Z Z28(which is a non scooped, mid forward amp) and it's just that. Big highs and lows, less mids. Way less mids than the Greenback it replaced(hated that one).

12. NoEars

NoEars Member

I have G12Ks and a 1x12 with G12H-30 and I think the G12H has stronger mids than the G12K. G12K is a speaker for detuned metal.

13. JDutch

JDutch Member

This also would be my answer. From personal experience, I think G12H variants sound great with Blackface-esque amplifiers, although I'm not familiar with the Super Champ.

14. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Yeah, probably the G12T75 amongst Celestions.

Then the WGS Reaper (and the HP) is very much so, I think. I simply cannot EQ the thing into sounding balanced without the lows and the presence/ highs standing out from the rest.

Obviously the Reaper is very much in the style of a G12H30, so no surprise there perhaps, but it seems to suffer more from this than any Celestion it could have been inspired by.

15. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

G12H30

BADHAK likes this.
  16. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

IME........

Anni G12H30

Also my 77 Blackback 55hz H30's are probably my brightest(in a great way) but I wouldn’t call them scooped. And I've always thought the Chinese Greenbacks in my 1960ax were a tad scooped and bright but that's only in comparison to my 68 Greenbacks or a V30.

17. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

The A-Type is supposed to be Celestion's take on an American style speaker. I don't find it necessarily mid-scooped but it's self-described as laid-back mid-range and I think that's accurate compared to most other Celestions.

18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

H magnets. That's why I don't like 'em . Mid scooped.

M magnets are the opposite of scooped. That's why I love 'em.

Alnicos like blues are not mid scooped at all.

So, H magnets.

19. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

New Chinese G12-75T
    So midscooped you may as well turn your amp off if you're playing live.
    You're guaranteed to simply evaporate in a band mix.

20. tschrama

tschrama Member

Anni G12H-30 and G12T-75