What's the "Brown" sound?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 6789, Sep 11, 2005.

1. 6789

6789 Member

What's the "Brown" Sound? I've heard this phrase mentioned a few times. I think it was in reference to van halen. Is the brown sound a certain amp?

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

It comes from an explanation Eddie used to describe the sound he wanted and eventually got. My understanding of the story is that it was a wide but warm sound a mix of every color comes out brown. He is supposed to have said something about his brother first came up with the term. He came to call his sound a "brown sound" Hope that helps.

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

It's also the phrase used to describe the tone achived by a hot bias. Sometimesa very hot bias.

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

Recipe for brown sound:

1 80's guitar hero, preferably EVH brand
    1 Vintage Marshall Super Lead
    1 Crappy homeade guitar
    Equal measured amounts of a Variac, male bovine excrement, internet fanboy rumour, and a copious amount of 80's big hair.

Mix with a desire to be someone you're not until desired color and sound is achieved.

Strangely, for every guitarist using the same exact recipe, it always comes out different.

5. drano

drano Member

6. brent

brent Member

it was initially the way Alex described his snare drum sound - like hitting a log or piece of wood; Ed stole it to describe his guitar sound which he considered warm and smooth, always struck me as a good description of a drum sound - bad descripton of a guitar sound especially a relatively brash, in your face sound

7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i always asumed it was in a way refering to the variac he used, kinda like a brown-out

8. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

funny i never thought of his sound as warm and smooth.

dave