What's the cheapest way to add ADAT to my i-book?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Unburst, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Unburst

Unburst Member

I want to use my i-book as an fx expander for my home studio, I figure if I had an ADAT compatible interface I could use it like an eight channel multi fx processor.

Anyone recommend a cheap Firewire interface that has ADAT?

2. fatang

fatang Member

I'm not totally clear on your application and I need your definition of "cheap" before I can make a recommendation.

Robert

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

I want to record on my main mac and bus audio to my i-book via ADAT for processing via reverbs etc.
    I also want to run Guitar Rig on my i-book and record it via ADAT to my desktop mac.

My definiton of "cheap" is the least I have to pay to get ADAT in and out of my i-book, since I already have good A/D's on my desktop I literally just need ADAT.

4. heinz

heinz Guest

man I wish it were that easy, I've been looking around for a straight adat mobile i/o solution for a while. My whole studio is adat connected using a z-sys 8.8a to route.

A lot of mobile adat stuff is a pcmcia card out to a rack space unit with tons of other i/o like the RME or Echo/layla stuff. I have found a pci card (pc only though) that is straight adat only (the Marian Marc A) and use 2 of those in my pc daw.

Anyway, basically I am of no help, but would also like to know. :cool:

5. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    I think the MOTU stuff might be the way to go...

not really THAT expensive, and you can also get a little more than just ADAT I/O.

my 2c

6. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Dont know if theres a cheap firewire interface with ADAT lightpipe but the Digidesign 002 rack or console comes highly recommended.

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

I was thinking that too but I'm hoping to get something more portable than a 1u rack.

I think the M-Audio Firewire 1814 is the closest I've seen, MF is doing it for $599

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Someone needs to make a pci slot firewire enclosure. The closest thing I can find is the Magma cardbus pci box. That would allow me to use my old Terratec adat card with my notebook.

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

Do you mean PCMCIA?
    If so you might find one here:
    http://www.firewiregear.net/

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Not exactly what I had in mind. Check out the Magma enclosures. They're more along the lines of what I was thinking about, but at $995 just for a single pci slot, it more than offsets the savings you'd get from using a $100 Terratec adat card.

The Magma is basically an enclosure for a pci card with a cardbus interface, similar to a hard drive enclosure. A more cost effective enclosure using a usb2/firewire interface instead of the cardbus would be an ideal solution. It's unforunate that nobody makes such a device, at least that I'm aware of.