• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What's the consensus on the Peavey Windsor?

Catoogie

Musicians Friend seems to be blowing them out for very little dough. I tried on briefly in the store a year or so ago and was hoping I'd like it but I thought it was sort of unfocused and mushy.

Any tips or tricks to getting them to sound good?

Do you like them?

scott58

I just unloaded the 1 I had a few months ago. For the price it's pretty good. For any kind of clean I had to plug into the low gain setting. it will give you that JCM 800 feel. i got rid of mine only because it was just to loud for my needs and i could never really crank it. I'd say it's one of the best deals going for a "marshally" type low cost amp. The guy i sold it to loves it. good value for the money.

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
Musicians Friend seems to be blowing them out for very little dough. I tried on briefly in the store a year or so ago and was hoping I'd like it but I thought it was sort of unfocused and mushy.

Any tips or tricks to getting them to sound good?

Do you like them?
I thought that they always sold for $299? Or was it $399? Now I am confused. Is $299 the cheaper price?

Stinky Kitty

My combo operated for about 10 minutes then went DOA. Changed tubes...no luck, so I felt I should listen to the guitar gods and not try to flirt with disaster twice. Sent the China-girl home and never looked back. Most Peavey products I've used over the years could be used as boat anchors and still be taken to a gig. I'm not sold on their Chinese line-up. Too many problems. Even the Vyper series is getting ravaged with tales of poor reliability.

plexistack

I had one of these amps for 1 day. I couldn't get any low end out of it, the "bass" control did nothing. I took it back. If you can deal with all highs & mids, you'll love it!

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
I hate these Windsor threads! No room for another amp. I'd love to buy one to mod. Bob

nomadh

When they blow out the little combo 20 for $149 like the crate somebody please LMK. I only played with one for 20 min but it was pretty cool it seems.

JerryP

Thanks! The guy playing is Dave King, he plays with Ex-Anthrax singer Joey Belladonna. Dave is an amazing player in many styles of music.
Jerry

CitizenCain

Has anyone tried to get a good clean sound out of the Windsor Studio? All the reports I read on this amp say it's geared for distorted sound pretty much. If you used a 12AY7 and a 6L6GC could you cop a decent tweed tone?

Trotter

I was at Best Buy the other day and gave one a try. The cleans were really bad in my opinion... but the cranked up distortion tones were excellent for the money! If the cleans would have been halfway decent I would have bought it on the spot.

shaun

I get nice clean tones from my Windsor Studio! Shuguang KT66, RCA and Mullard 12ax7s, alnico speaker, low gain input, neck and/or middle pickups. Love this amp, although, needed tubes and speakers, to find its best voice.

CitizenCain

I get nice clean tones from my Windsor Studio! Shuguang KT66, RCA and Mullard 12ax7s, alnico speaker, low gain input, neck and/or middle pickups. Love this amp, although, needed tubes and speakers, to find its best voice.
Just when I'd almost overcome my obsession with the Studio version

Charmless

Silver Supporting Member
Great mod platform. Okay stock but IMO takes some mods to really get it to sound good (IMO).

I modded mine to fix three issues, wacky EQ which causes fizz, overly-compressed preamp, and IMO deficient screen circuits.

After the mods it now cleans up beautifully, hits the output section with a hotter preamp signal for a bigger, ballsier sound and there's no more fizz. Also, the screens are better protected with bigger resistors.

For someone who likes to build amps and can mod, it's an unbeatable deal. You can't build an amp like this from scratch for the price.
What mods did you do to ‘er?

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
I'm loving my Windsor Studio- loaded with a WGS and a 6L6 it just sounds great but I don't ever play truly clean. i always have at least a little dirt or even a lot. It's a great little amp that got no love when it came out but that's the case with most things that bear the Peavey logo. I've actually become quite a fan lately in spite of my 3 Mesa's.

Trending Topics