What's the Correct Settings for EQ Pedals in Chain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Waxhead, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I'm thinking of getting an MXR Graphic EQ pedal.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=248&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail

Have heard great things about them improving the tone of an already excellent tube amp. Been playing in bands for 20 yrs but have never got into the EQ pedal thing before so I'm a newb on this one.

This article explains the principles behind it and it makes sense to me. It recommends you should have 2 or 3 EQ's in your chain.

http://www.amptone.com/truesecretofamptone.htm

But if you go for just 1 EQ pedal like the MXR and you place it in your amps loop then;

1) what's the best way to set the frequencies on both the MXR pedal and your amps EQ pots so that they both work in a complimentary way rather than cancelling eachother out. Is there a "normal" way to do this ?

2) one method would be to set all your amps EQ's to 12 oclock and set the MXR frequencies to taste, but is there a better way ?

3) what's your views on the article I've linked above. Do you really need 2 or 3 EQ's in your chain to optimise your amp's tone ?

4) what's your view on the alleged need for an attenuator like the THD Hotplate. When you're playing at gig volume levels with your tubes saturated will an attenuator really help ?

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I just bought and sold the 10-band MXR EQ. I just couldn't get the pedal to sound good with my overdrives. It was amazing for my cleans....with the amp eq set at high noon, and my normal tweaked settings.

No matter what I did, I couldn't get a goo dsound from both dirt and clean. When I tweaked all the settings so the EQ made my OD sound good, the cleans were horrible. I just didn't see the need for an EQ just for cleans or just for OD.

My amp doesn't have an effects loop...and I had the same results with the EQ both infront of the OD and after it.

3. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Well I'd expect that to happen. It's the same on your amps EQ pots. You'd not usually use the same EQing for both the clean and dirty channels :)

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I've found that if your amp circuit is well designed an eq isn't really needed. They can work good for a clean volume boost but for an "always on" thing I found my amp performs better all on it's own. For me it was just another pedal that caused more tweeking and less playing!

6. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Actually, with my bassman I was able to dial in a really nice sound for both clean and dirty. The EQ just accentuated certain freqs, but not enough to warrant me keeping the pedal.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Wow - threads get buried so fast on this forum.

Any other comments - I'm mainly wanting to know how you're coordinating the EQ settings on your amp pots with those on the EQ pedal. How do you get them to both to compliment eachother rather than cancelling eachother out ???????

8. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I've only used an EQ pedal to a) fine tune the tone from my amp further, or b) give me another EQ option, such as one EQ for clean and another for dirt, or a volume and mid boost for solo's, etc. So, I usually dial in my amp to where I want it and then dial in the EQ.

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

You can set the EQ in the loop, and like a Boogie use the amps tone controls to shape the distortion (like I cut bass and increase mids) and then re-shape the tone w/ the eq in the loop (adding bass and cutting mids--the scoop) which is kinda the Mark-series Boogie theory.

You can also just set the EQ for a mid boost, using it last in the chain after the guitar>EQ>amp.

Using EQ to pre-shape a distortion box would need a box that had a good enough tone control to reshape. (read: does not always sound great.)

10. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I would say get the amp sounding as close as you would like it using the knobs on the amp, then use the EQ to fine tune...

11. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Hate to sound like Captain Obvious here, but IMHO there just aren't any. There's only what sounds good to your ears. There are great reasons why you might want to have them before OD pedals, great reasons why you might want them after OD pedals, and great reasons why you might want them towards the end of your signal chain. At the end of the day, IMHO, there just isn't a "correct" setting for anything related to pedals.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Fair comment - I suspected that might be the case but I'm a newb on EQ pedals so I wanted to see if there was a conventional wisdom on using them in a complimentary way with your amps EQ pots.

I'll probably use an MXR EQ pedal in the series loop of my Mesa 5:50. The 5:50 has treble, mid & bass pots PLUS a Contour pot which is a mid scooper as you crank it. Then I'd have EQ both before and after distortion which is the recommended method in the article I posted at the top.
    Any other views or comments ????????