Whats the Deal on the Revenge Lil' Rock 5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wurs, Dec 16, 2009.

1. wurs

wurs Supporting Member

Is this amp any good? For $200 I am really considering but I don't want to waist my $$$ if it's junk.

2. wurs

wurs Supporting Member

No one? anyone?

3. stratbender57

stratbender57 Member

I took a risk and went ahead and just ordered one on ebay. I watched the demo on you tube and it sounded decent. for $ 199.00 w 6L6 should be fine?...I will posted after I receive it on Feb 1rst.

4. teletaylor

teletaylor Supporting Member

I ordered one, too

The DI/XLR and low watt with 6L6 not to mention tweed made it tough to pass

Also ebay its $199 with only $10 shipping, as well as bing 8% back..... should be ~$193 shipped...

5. teletaylor

Although the owner, Greg, emailed back and said they are imported (he did not say where but we'll see) but his other amps are all made in the US....

6. synthexracing

synthexracing Member

Looking forward to see some real world reviews of this amp. I'm on the fence about ordering one. Price is right, I'll say that much.

7. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Looks like a winner for that price!

Mike

8. Peeb

Peeb Member

Would love to know:
    1) how do you like it?
    2) made in china?

9. wurs

wurs Supporting Member

Those that ordered...Did you get it yet? What do you think?

10. teletaylor

I haven't gotten mine yet....hopefully tomorrow for the weekend!

11. Peeb

Peeb Member

Please give us a review- hopefully with clips! In the video I saw, it sounds like it starts to break up pretty early- maybe an aggressive sound...

12. teletaylor

Just and update.....

It came today, I have not plugged it n...yet, (having a cranky newborn AND wife can limit the noise factor)

I will say it says "Imported for Recycled Sound" but does not specify where from (the tubes are from China, no smoking gun but an indication) and I have not taken off the back grate yet.

The tweed covering looks nice overall but on some of the corners it's not perfect (some glue spots and tweed fabric stretched )

The shell itself appears to be pressboard...kinda disappointing but not totally surprising.

Overall it's an attractive amp. I am excited to hear what it sounds like. I dunno if clips are a possibility due to the afforementioned family life...

I'm just hoping for 15 minutes here or there but I'll see what I can do... I may have to try the DI into my laptop (not as good as mic'ing but something)

Anyone else try it yet?

13. teletaylor

I'll also say this...

after emailing Greg of Recycled Sound a few times, he's been top notch with customer service in responses

I'd email him with direct questions

glp@conwaycorp.net

good luck

14. Phlussy

Phlussy Member

bump! any word on these amps? I am looking for a cheap low wattage amp for practice and recording, and I didn't much like the vox ac4tv I tried. Looking for something less bright and a bit more versatile overall. would this lil guy fit the bill?

15. Phlussy

Phlussy Member

16. teletaylor

As far as I'm concerned I think it would work for you, but please keep in mind I have not dedicated the time I'd like to explore this more (Newborns and toddlers kind of put a damper on free time)

Also, my playing is mostly rhythym and vocals, so my need for searing leads is pretty minimal. I tried this with mainly my tele but also a Godin A6 ultra with the humbucker.

My comparisons:
    I had a Vox AC4 head which no matter what cabinet or speakers I tried it through it always sounded muddy, like it had a blanket over it. I never tried different tubes and sold it to fund the Lil' Rock.

I also had a Crate Blackheart Little Giant which I swapped out the preamp tube to a 12at7. I really liked the Blackheart but after purchase of the Lil'Rock I found it redundant and sold it to fund other gear splurges.

The Lil' Rock first of all is 6L6 based, so right there it should less bright compared to the other el84 heads. I have left the tubes stock for now. Overall I really like the sound, to me it can clean up pretty nicely but on the flip side it got a lot heavier and darker than the other heads. It was not muddy but very articulate and responsive.

I still have yet to try the XLR/DI out (one major selling point for me) to record but I do want to for sure. I REALLY like the controls AND the standby switch. All features not usually found on low watters.

Overall it does feel pretty solidly built (for the price consider). Pressboard cabinet, and tweed done well, but not perfect.

I hope this helps, again to each their own. Unfortunately if you try one and don't like the resale may not be great, at least not yet, but for $200 (try ebay and bing btw) it's not much of a gamble.

Good luck!:BluesBros

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  17. Phlussy

Phlussy Member

awesome, thanks for the detailed response. i may have to give this one a go...

18. teletaylor

BTW the output choices are 4 and 8 ohm....not 16 like a lot of other low watt heads (Vox AC4)

19. Phlussy

Phlussy Member

OK I pulled the trigger on one, should arrive in a few days. I am looking forward to it!

20. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Owners report in and let us know your thoughts, I love 6L6's so...