What’s the Deal With Austin City Limits These Days?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stringmaster, Jan 26, 2020.

1. EL69

EL69 Member

The corollary of which is that the older generations will keep blathering about how their rock and roll is the only real rock and roll every time a new generation pops up and changes things around. Forever...

Thedude99 and OM Flyer like this.
  2. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

If someone thinks Mitski is any sort of rock music maybe they shouldn’t be taken too seriously in the first place.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Member

Sigh. I miss music. This ain't it.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I saw this man perform on ACL, it was great, but I knew it couldn't get better than that, so I haven't watched since:

[​IMG]

Uncle Bob likes this.
  5. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

The difference between older Rock and Roll, Blues,Jazz,etc.. is it had a strong musical foundation that it was built upon!
    Today's version of Rock,Pop, is based on instant gratification, and visual technology vs. actual musical abilities.

6. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

I’ve never heard of Austin City Limits and at this point I’m afraid to look into it. Is this a long running show that the original crowd got old or was it always targeted toward an older audience? I’m 31.

7. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Sure, boomer. (I agree with you! )

OM Flyer likes this.
  8. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

Cage The Elephant looked interesting and i like their production but that song didn't grab me. I think that's my deal with current bands. Killer gear and production values and you can tell they are trying to come up with something new, but the songs rarely grab me. I know Alice Cooper was a performance artist and all but they had I'm 18 and Dwight Frye and Halo of Flies.
    The last song that made me feel like music used to was From Can to Can't from the Sound City movie soundtrack. It's probably just being 48 though and no longer the target audience for modern pop culture. I'm going to embrace becoming irrelevant. But at least i got to know what it felt like to have Nirvana light up the stale airwaves for awhile. Even though i can't listen to them anymore, that was a cool feeling that i don't think the kids of today get to have. Maybe the breath of fresh air for them is some new tech or app.

9. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

ACL is the longest running show for live performance music in USA history. There is so much good music. It has something for everyone but the main thing is they MUST perform live. There is no lip syncing allowed.

I’ve lived in Austin for over 20 years, been to a few ACL tapings and even met Terry Lickona the ACL producer. I like old and new music. Trust me, ACL is worth checking out.

10. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I don't think you give contemporary music or "kids of today" nearly enough credit. I taught high school from 1995 - 2018, and every year my students got totally fired up about all kinds of emerging music. It may not be on the "airwaves" anymore, but I'd wager that young people today are far more exposed to a far greater variety of music than ever before, and the proliferation and popularity of music festivals is but one indicator that young people are quite capable of engaging with more than "tech or apps," as you dismissively assert. When my son, who was playing in a hardcore punk band, asked me one night if I'd ever heard of "this sick songwriter named Charley Crockett," I knew right then that the kids were alright.

Thedude99, NotWesYet and whatizitman like this.
  11. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

THIS. That any musician that is old enough to remember the 60s, 70s, and 80s can say, without irony, their music was better than anything nowadays just blows my mind.

IF MUSIC PISSES OFF AN OLD PERSON, ITS DOING WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO. Welcome to the establishment if you have forgotten that.

If you like what you grew up with more than anything current, that's fine. In fact, it's expected. I tend to fall into that cohort, myself. But just because you don't like something, or can't relate, does not mean the music sucks. It doesn't. Period. End of story.

It's just different. Perceived ease, convenience, etc.... has nothing to do with it. Your parents didn't like your music for the same reasons. Deal with it.

And rap.... Geez. Get over it, boomer. Nothing says "I'm a simpleton. I knows what I knows, and I likes what I likes" more than dismissing all hip hop and rap. Rap may not be my thing. But it's clearly MANY peoples' thing. Rap musicians and listeners have every much right as every one else to play their music when and where they or the big music execs want them to.

Thedude99, EL69 and OM Flyer like this.
  12. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

It seems I've found today's cloud shouting thread...

Thedude99, EL69 and OM Flyer like this.
  13. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

That’s usually not the musicians talking, that’s the fanbois talking. Sometimes the latter happens to the former in certain contexts.

14. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Got a point.

15. NelDGT

NelDGT Member

yeah! St Vincent is amazing...and it's crazy how many young kids and indie bands she has inspired to pick up the guitar. She's done a few ACL shows and she kills it everytime

lang.murphy likes this.
  16. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

JiveJust likes this.
  17. oxtone

oxtone Member

I watched it for many years, but not in recent years. I had enjoyed many performances by the likes of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, etc...

18. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Last year I met Terry Lickona in my Survey of the Music Industry class at Austin Community College. He talked about ACL and answered questions for well over an hour. This article you posted pretty much nails what I gathered from Terry. He wants Austin City Limits to remain relevant and become more diverse. A hip hop head in our class tried to chastise ACL for not having enough Hip Hip/Urban acts on ACL. Terry quickly rattled off about a dozen of those acts and talked about the historical shows they've had with those types of acts. The hip hop head admitted that he didn't even watch ACL. That just goes to show that a lot of folks from all walks of life don't really know what they are critical of when it comes to Austin City Limits.

Also a lot of acts TGP folks would like to see on ACL will NOT play it because it only pays union scale. One example: Terry said he's being trying to get Bruce Springsteen on ACL for decades but constantly gets turned down. A lot of younger artists realize that getting on a taping of Austin City Limits will legitimize them as a true artist. You can't blame them for wanting to be taken seriously. I've seen some acts that I wasn't into on ACL but none that I would consider terrible.

I was fortunate to see David Bryne, Susan Tedeschi, and The Flatlanders live during tapings at the old location on the UT campus. Each of those shows was truly amazing.

Sun Creature and OM Flyer like this.
  19. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

ACL was great for two things - Eric Johnson (both performances).

20. Stardrake

Stardrake Member

Yeah, nobody back in the day ever did visuals....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

mvsr990 likes this.