What's the deal with Dimarzio trademarking double creams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamison162

How can they do that and threaten other winders with cease and desist orders or face legal action? Did they invent the cream bobbin or something? It's an art. Who's got the trademark on double black!!!!!!!!

BIGGERSTAFF

It's pretty hokie in my opinion. Is creme intellectual property, or just an appealing color for a pickup bobbin? When you consider that double cremes were in use prior to DiMarzio being in business, it adds to the questionable nature of such a thing.

Thames

They were the 1st to officially sell uncovered double-cream pickups in the early 70s. That was their trademark at the time.

That's legit.

jamison162

It's BS; of the stinkiest kind. That's just wrong. I think all other pickup manufacturers and small winders should class act their tales. I'm not buying Dimarzio, that's for sure.

jamison162

So can't you get double creams if they come with a cover installed? I thought some Duncans were like this??

Thames

Double-cremes were used before, but they were sold with covers. You can ask *any* pickup manufacturer to sell you a dbl-cream pickup, but it must have a cover on them. Then just remove it yourself and that's fine. 100% legit.

Dimarzio's politics are fine in my book. That's totally legit. I would have done the same thing if I was Mr. Dimarzio. That was HIS idea to sell uncovered double-creme pickups.

jamison162

Double-cremes were used before, but they were sold with covers. You can ask *any* pickup manufacturer to sell you a dbl-cream pickup, but it must have a cover on them. Then just remove it yourself and that's fine. 100% legit.

Dimarzio's politics are fine in my book. That's totally legit. I would have done the same thing if I was Mr. Dimarzio. That was HIS idea to sell uncovered double-creme pickups.

Yeah but he didn't invent cream bobbins, nor do they hold a manufactuers patent on them so what gives him the right to dictate what others can or can't offer. BS!

Thames

Hey, its a trademark, you dont need to invent anything to get a trademark. However it has to represent your product/company. Like a logo. Dont forget all pickups were sold with covers at the time, so they got the idea first to sell a pickup without cover and with double-creme bobbins. Their first pickups were all dbl-creme at start.

Its the same thing with the Gibson "moustache/openbook" headstock. They didnt invented anything !!!

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Yeah but he didn't invent cream bobbins, nor do they hold a manufactuers patent on them so what gives him the right to dictate what others can or can't offer. BS!

Do you understand the difference between a TM and a patent?

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
It's the "look." Some looks are just classic. If you see a P-Bass that's all black with cream pickups, it almost screams 70's with aftermarket Dimarzios for instance. No harm in wanting to trademark that traditional look.

rawkguitarist

It's called capitalizm. And they took advantage of a legitimate business advantage. Using emotion to denounce it as "BS" doesn't make what they did wrong or even unethical. If other company's had made cream pickups before them, they should have had the forsight to trademark it themselves.

Dimarzio makes some of the coolest pickups available IMO.

Todd Lynch

Right or Wrong or Indifferent - at one time, if you saw double creme bobbins on a guitar, you instantly 'knew' this cat had custom DiMarzio p'ups; very visual.

I like the inside out double creme Oreo's myself.
Especially with a glass of milk

is there a trademark on double white or double black or zebra

get em while they are hot

best
Groovey Records

Listening to Robert Gorden w/ Link Wray
on Vinyl of course

Bob V

Wow, people actually reacting to corporation-bashing and try to view it from the businessman's point of view. God bless America.

By the way I worked on an old epiphone double humbucker solidbody and my friend wasn't sure about the pickups - open the case and wham - clearly a pair of Super Distortions from the early days. Instantly recognizeable - that feature has a value that DiMarzio has every right to protect. Now I would've thought the distinguishing factor was the hex socket polepieces, but hey if they can trademark the double cream thing...

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Was a long time ago...
Think of the differences in the pickup industry then vs. now...

Jim Soloway

It's BS; of the stinkiest kind. That's just wrong. I think all other pickup manufacturers and small winders should class act their tales. I'm not buying Dimarzio, that's for sure.

Perhaps you might consider balancing your outrage on this one issue by considering that DiMarzio has probably done more to support unsigned and little known artists than any company I can think of.

Here's some WCR's wired up in a PRS...
PRSWiringPhoto2ndGeneration.jpg

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
When did the trademark go into effect? I remember buying double cream Duncans in the early '80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom