What's the deal with germanium fuzzes?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gentlemen,

What germanium fuzzes are there on the market at this moment for that early Jimi sound? How do those Ge/Si- combinations sound? What is, in your opinion, the best out there?

Cheers!

2. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I love my Hellbilly! There are some other great ones too.

A

3. drolling

drolling Member

Got an Silicon/op-amp based fuzz in a pawn shop at Xmas - 3 active tone pots for bizarre cocked wah textures- some of the sh!ttiest lo-fi tones I've ever heard, and it's sent me off on a fuzz frenzy.. I've got a Retroman Sybil on it's way. A Ge/Si fuzz that lets you use them seperately, or cascade one into the other..

And just today I sprung for an Effector13 Truly Beautiful Disaster- makes the ZVex FuzzFactory sound positively polite by comparison..

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks boys,

I better give those to a little search. Any thoughts on the Euthymia Crucible Ge? I'm really looking for that Fuzz Face sound!

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Be sure to check out the Fulltone '69!
    There are quite a few fans of this pedal on this site, including myself.
    Reviews at Harmony Central.........

Best regards, Mass

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

If you are looking for the germanium Fuzz Face sound, the Analogman Sundial with NKT 275 trannies is a good choice.

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

I searched and searched for a good germ that responded a little like a silicon but had the grit of a germ. I found it in this.

8. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

If you want early Hendrix you want a Germanium Fuzz Face clone. Go here to listen to clips of my clone, the Fuzz Haze, with a Strat and a Les Paul. It's my favorite. ;) www.throbak.com

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Just listened to the London Fuzz clips on the MJM site. Exactly the sound that I was looking for. Really nice. Yet to listen to the THROBAK clips. Mind you, I don't think the prevoius poster had quite an unbiased opinion:rolleyes:

Well, super duper! Wonder if anybody carries MJM or THROBAK in Denmark Street in London? I'll have to give it a test next week when I pop over.

10. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I have been through lots of fuzzes and have yet to find one better than the analogman SunFace with sundial and NKT-275's. It just oozes with creamy tones, period. I know now that he does a bass mod to all of them but I'm hesitant about modding mine as I'm afraid it might change the overall character. GREAT fuzz!

I've owned a London Fuzz and to me there's no comparison. Two totally different pedals.

11. jgyn

jgyn Member

The Euthymia Crucible GE's great. Gets the 1967 sound, with more gain on tap.

12. 50Cal

50Cal Member

+1 on the Hellbilly. Covers alot of ground, and sounds great doing it.

13. gururyan

gururyan Member

Glad you liked it.
    I have been very happy with it and it "plays well with others".
    If you order direct, Mike can build you a version in a smaller box for a small fee. I think he just refers to them as "mini" versions.

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep,

MJM are available in Europe too. Great! +1 for availability!

Does anybody know if analogman are available through a dealer in Europe? I'm pretty keen on that Sun Face w/sundial too. Sounds really nice and I like the look of it. Really cool!

15. Mark Barratt

Mark Barratt Supporting Member

I bought a Sunface Sundial NKT 275 (private sale) off a guy in the U.K. last week and it really is a great piece of kit.
    So good i'll think i'll try and get another one as a spare soon.

I'm also thinking of getting a KR Gypsy Fuzz too, does anyone have one of these ?? -- how do they compare ??