What's the deal with Marshall Silver Jubilee combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JoshuaTSP, Jan 21, 2008.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I found a 2x12 combo for sale....how much should I look to spend?

Are they rare and worth it?

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Come on guys! a little help?

3. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

2x12 combo = 1200-1400 on ebay. At a shop they'll try to rip you off.

Are they rare? In a word yes, but they aren't super hard to find. There is usually a 2x12 and a head or two on ebay every few days.

4. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

So how much would you actually pay for one? And you're saying if I can find one, buy it?

What are they similar to........as in what other Marshall?

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Don't pay more than $1300 for one...unless minty then $1,400 or so (tax and all). They are nice amps.

People will disagree, but I find the JCM800s and Jubilees to be different beasts.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I think I have a line on one for $600, (the only bad part is there's a hole in the grill cloth). :drool x 16546413451584.

How so? This will be my first Marshall.......I've always avoided them, but I can't pass up a deal like this. So I don't know much about the types and models.

7. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

I've owned both (currently only have a Jube head) and I find them similiar. Both are huge sounding mid rangy amps. The Jube has more gain on hand and sounds a ton better at bedroom to medium gig levels. For what a Jube can do I see no real point in the JCM800 if you can afford or find a nice Jube. It can pretty much cover all of what a JCM800 can, with better cleans. A JCM800 (later year model 2205's are not as bad) has to be set very loud to sound good, while the Jubilee sounds great, thick, and have good sustain and saturation at all volumes right down to a whisper. Of course its sounds its best at 5 or up on the volume dial. Its also not as quite as loud as a JCM800 so in gigs that can come in handy. I owned several JCM800's, traynors, and a Stiletto ace before finally finding what I was looking for in the Jubilee. I always avoided them because of the price but they are worth it. I paid 1000 dollars for mine (which is actually very cheap for a head) a year ago.

600 dollars is a killer deal. Don't worry about cosmetic stuff. My Jube head isn't even in the original headshell (its in a marshall plexi fullsize headbox now) and it still sounds great :)

People bitch about the diodes in it...who freakin cares. They are the same people who will stick an OD pedal infront of an amp and not think twice.

8. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i think the jubilee heads always sell for a lot more than the combos but $1,300 - $1,400 sounds about right depending on the condition..... i love marshall amps, but have never had the opportunity to play out of a jubilee...

9. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

Well, I bought it.......without trying it out. :mad: but they have a 30 day return policy. :BEER

Anywho, when I got there I hadn't noticed that the mid tone control was snapped off.....not to mention the Lead volume control is really scratchy. I almost said "forget it" and walked out, but I knew the amp was solid otherwise. So I'll have to replace those pots....no biggie. Otherwise a minor ding in the tolex right above the mid control and the cigar sized hole in the grill cloth. Which I also plan on fixing.

Sound wise: It had the original tubes.....from what I could tell. Along with a Chinese in the V1 position. It sounded a little fizzy to my ears, so I'm going to swap them out tonight. From only the 10 minutes I've played it so far, it's a very thick mid range type crunch. I would say it could even do vintage metal. I don't think it sounds too 80's either.....it's got a very modern growl to it. I was surprised with the clean actually......very full sounding and sparkly.
    I was considering just buying it, fixing it up, and selling it.....but I may have to keep it for a while.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah.....when the diode mode is on, how much gain is there? I wasn't noticing much difference???? Is that right?

10. rhythmeister

rhythmeister Member

Ha! This is funny...'cuz it is true.

I own a Jube 2550 head. Pretty good amp - got it for a good price. I do honestly think the prices these regulary fetch now are too high.

I bought an older Dr. Z SRZ-65RH for under $1K that absolutely kills the 2550 in every way (OK, except that the 2550 is footswitchable, which is nice).

Cheers,
    Blair