Whats the DEAL with RIVERA amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidkiddmusic, Jun 15, 2006.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

I have just been introduced to them sort of. Known about them for a while; never really gave em a chance.

The Pubster 45 and Clubster 45 looks pretty dang cool with the channel switching thing and effects loop... all for $1100.00??? Seems to good to be true.

Anybody like them? Use them? Not like them? Why?

Im interested in the EL34 amps.

Thanks a mil.

2. pep

pep Member

I was looking at these but based on the number of preamp tubes they require, it seems as if the signal path couldn't be 100% tube. I could be wrong however. Anyone know about this?

-Pep

3. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    heck, yer in L.A., right in their neighborhood (and most CA dealers are down around there somewhere). if i lived down there, i'd stop by & intro myself to Paul and Paul Jr. and get a look-see.

i love Riveras. they're all-tube/PCB, reliable as anything i've owned, and can sound really really good. used ones are way undervalued, IMHO.

:cool:

Wyzard likes this.
  4. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I've played Rivera since 1999 and my original K-55 head is still going strong. They require some tweaking but sound really good overall.

I've owned the K-55, Fandango and Jake. I also have experience with the Rake Reverb and R30. Of these, I'd recommend the older style Knuckleheads and the Rakes. For some reason I much prefer the head version of these amps.

buddaman71 and Wyzard like this.
  5. somedude

somedude Member

I had a Pubster 25. Sounded ok at best through it's undersized combo speaker, but sounded great through a 4x12. Eventually sold it as it didn't suit my style. It's a great amp, but I suggest going with the 12" speaker.

6. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i have owned quite a few riveras over the years and still have a bm60 head. the m series are superb amps, imho. very well made, 100% tube circuitry, switchable fx loops, all sorts of bells and whistles. they seem to be catering to the heavier crowd with their high end amps now as a lot of people are going the bare bones route. the r series amps are o.k. but nearly as tunable to my ear. excellent values on the used market.

7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Paul and his son are nice guys, and build nice amps, but there are lots of chips and LDR's in the signal path in the ones I've seen. Hardly something you could call an "all tube amp". Not nit picking, just pointing it out.

8. MattB

MattB Member

I have a pubster 25. Its a great recording and gigging amp. I let the singer in my band use it for gigs. Great cleans and mean growl when pushed. Check em out!

9. hal9000

hal9000 Member

I have an R55-12 and it's a great little amp. The clean channel will give you tweed or blackface tones up through Plexi overdrive. The OD channel goes from the Plexi level up through JCM 800-esque tones. It's built well, easy to tote, has a ton of options, a good FX loop, and plenty of power to gig with. I prefer it with a Hot Plate, because the master is so-so. It does have a great overdriven power section tone when the amp is pushed. Finally, the used prices favor the buyer, and I got my R55-12 in excellent condition for $600.

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Travis, each channel has separate EQ and is completely separate and controllable. What you describe shouldn't have been the case. Don't mean to diss your opinion, because I know it's valid, but for any K-55 shortcomings I would say that what you describe isn't one of them. I've had great luck getting whatever I wanted out of both channels. Then again, I treat mine like two separate amps, not necessarily "lead/rhythm" channels.

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have a Chubster 40 (with the five tube pre-amp) that I like a lot. It took me a while to find tones I like amid all the options, though. It is built extremely well and the clean channel is especially nice.

12. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    you're right, Andy, i'm not sure what i meant by "all-tube" myself :NUTS ...anyway, i saw the innards of a Fandango yesterday and was mighty impressed with the construction, layout, materials, etc. as splatt said, "bulletproof".

:cool:

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a Chubster about 6 years ago. After playing through it for just a few minutes, I had to have it.

After about 8 months of bedroom use only I grew tired of it and sold it to a friend. Unfortunately, after he had it about a month it crapped out on him. I felt terrible about it but he was completely cool. I managed to get the schematic and he fixed it on his own. Thankfully he knows his way around the insides of an amp. He sold it shortly thereafter.

This isn't a slam on Rivera. Every amp manufacturer will have one with a glitch once in a while.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Indeed - great amps, fine people.

15. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I had a Chubster for a while. The thing I didn't like about it was how the sound of the amp changed radically as you turned up the master volume. So if you wanted to tweak the volume, you had to tweak the gain and EQ as well, which was a bitch to do on the fly on a gig. It had some cool sounds, but it just didn't work for me where I needed it most.

16. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

Just a heads up, Atlanta Music Brokers had the entire Pubster/Clubster line on closeout as of last Friday. They had all four models in stock. I played the smaller Pubster. Sounded great!

17. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

What do you guys think about the Clubster 45?

18. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

+1 on the BM60! I have a 1x12 combo with a matching 1x12 closed cab. This is a really great amp that covers a lot of territory of tones. The reverb is the weak spot though - when engaged the volume drops slightly (the reverb driver is not tube, the return is though - Paul told me on a phone call). Not really a problem for me though because I use a reverb through the loop.

19. Larry Hall

Larry Hall Member

I have owned both the Clubster and the Chubster. I owned and played through the Clubster for 2 days. I took it back and got the Chubster. A much better amp in all respects. Worth the price differential to go with the Chubster.

20. Orren

Orren Member

I've owned two Rivera amps. I owned a Fandango head first. I loved the clean sound, and the fact that it was built like a tank. I wanted more gain, so I sold it for a Knucklehead II. Same fantastic clean sound, and I really did enjoy the amp's gain channel as well. I liked it both live and recorded, but in the end, I wanted something with a bit more girth to the gain channel.

Interestingly, the new K-TRE is supposed to be just that. I'd love to try one out.

And did I mention these things are built so well they'll survive a direct hit with an atomic bomb?

Orren