What's the deal with Sweetwater MSRP prices?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tofudoom, Jul 11, 2019.

1. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

To reiterate, many companies do this. Not just Sweetwater.

What's even more annoying is the "call for price!" messages. Don't they realize people under 35 hate calling people?

2. russintexas

russintexas Member

I'm over 35 and hate calling people.

3. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

It's like going to Hobby Lobby. Mark items double the price so you can offer 40 & 50% off constantly.

Making people believe they are saving money while they spend it is the way of the world.

4. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

i bought some undershirts and socks from kohls and when i looked at the receipt id saved almost $70. i was really excited.

5. aisling

aisling Silver Supporting Member

I am a sweetwater guy (customer), I've had a long relationship with them almost 17 years now....
    I've used their 36-48month 0% financing a few times, and have had positive experiences, I actually prefer it for big ticket item when I have the funds, as I can collect a little interest investing that capital elsewhere. The other day I was looking a a Novation lunchpad as an ancillary Ableton controller. I had no intention of financing it for the promotion (or buying, was just window shopping), but noticed that the math they advertised would have put a $149 controller at 5$ a month for 36 months (on that particular item) at $180, which was the listed MSRP. There would have been NO savings there had I gone that route.

6. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Gold Supporting Member

Manufacturer
    Suggested
    Retail
    Price

Minimum
    Advertised
    Price

A brief look into common retail practices will complete your understanding. :)

Madsen, awallace, jamester and 3 others like this.
  7. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

This. Nothing sweetwater specific at all.

As for the talk about calling them, sometimes -- if your sales engineer is cool -- you can get a savings after gabbing their ear off for a bit. I'll usually go hey, I'm going for this, interested in this and that, discuss it for a bit, then go, "What's the best price you can do for these items?"

Some down time can sometimes save you some money. It also gets them to know you more, and if you have a good rapport with them, you are more likely to get better deals over time because they realize when you buy from them, you spend a few bills with them. It also occasionally helps to pay full price without doing the "best price" routine, as well.

xmentalpilot likes this.
  8. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

You must be young. Companies have based discounts off MSRP for as long as I can remember....and I was buying stuff at Guitar Center in the 1980's

You have no idea how good you have it today with the internet, Street Pricing and MAP Pricing. Back in the 80's, there was no "street price" you went in to Guitar Center and haggled your way down from list price, nobody paid the same price for anything, no one knew how much the next guy paid. Did you get a good deal or were you just bent over and manhandled? You never knew.
    It was rough.

Madsen, epauley and LordThurisaz like this.
  9. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Some manufactures that primarily sell through stores will sell you the same product from their website at the MSRP. I can't imagine they sell many if any at all, nor do they want to deal with end users, they would much sell to suppliers.

10. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Because Sweetwater has the ability to help on tax...

11. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

You should have seen Guitar Center in the late 70's! You'd go in and point to a guitar then began hurling insults at a sales rep who would respond with even worse insults. Eventually someone would end up in the fetal position and the other party would get their price. I broke many a GC rep and got great prices back then.

The current system of online price requests is nowhere near as effective or satisfying as a buyer.

McShred likes this.
  12. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

“Call for price” can mean below MAP of course.

Or it can be a sneaky ploy.

You never know unless you...

epauley and T92780 like this.
  13. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I've been at the retail game a long time and never heard of "advertising credit" due to what pricing retailer merchandised cost at.

PS does manufacturer participate in costs to put product in print ads, etc, yes.

14. GuitarMike69

GuitarMike69 Member

Apparently, the OP has never bought a new car, a new guitar or anything else in his life. Pretty much everything for sale in the world from every store has a "list" or "msrp" price, with a retail price designed to appear as a discount to the consumer.
    What's the deal with this being news?

15. RBH

RBH Member

You will likely pay a little more from Sweetwater that another " online " or even a brick and Mortar store. Reason being is that they consistently deliver on the tangibles of very high end service and real expertise. Their knowledge base is enormous. They have built that on pricing of the merchandise. If you don't make use of that - then you're paying a bit more than you would from a place that's just being a middleman distributor.

coltonius likes this.
  16. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I went green and asked them to not send the rag. sorry, mag. It took several months and a followup email though.

17. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Member

Most manufacturers in this industry are getting away from MSRP, as it’s an irrelevant price for many. For some companies, however, it’s the basis for what dealers pay.

18. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Hey, if I could get Sweetwater or any gear retailer for that matter to negotiate on sales tax, I would. But you can't so I'm failing to see why you'd take your business elsewhere; they have zero say regarding sales tax.

19. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Only eat half the sales tax amount; got it.

20. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

And then there's Craigslist

...And Justice For All

coltonius likes this.