What's the deal with Sweetwater MSRP prices?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tofudoom, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

It’s not bs. There is the list price, and then the selling price. It’s that simple.....many years ago (the 60’s) many dealers tried and succeeded in selling Fender and Gibson guitars for list price... 48th Street Mannys in NYC started discounting 30 to 40% off of the list price... there was only list price and the dealer could sell the item really for whatever price he cared to sell it for........this is where discounting all began in the MI industry.....and there was no MAP pricing back then. That is basically price fixing and legally the mfrs have found ways around this to coerce dealers to maintain “equal” pricing between stores.. can you imagine if the car mfrs tried to do this?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Rod

Boy, that’s for sure

3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

What? Are you kidding? There is nothing shady at all about having a MSRP and the MAP on the same page. If you don't like the price - ask for a better deal. If for some reason you have a problem with the way they show their gear for sale - then stop looking at Sweetwater pages and prices.

I don't understand this level of concern over things that have little to no effect on people.

T92780, therhodeo and Rod like this.
  4. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

It's been done for a long time, I understand that, but I also empathize with the OP; why bother in this day and age? The MSRP is basically meaningless. You can pull up a search and see the same MAP across the board.

And it's also my understanding that many retailers have a stipulation in their contract that they can't actually sell most things *below* a certain threshold, or they'll risk losing their dealership privileges. I remember trying to negotiate with a reputable seller on a particular Gibson, and they said basically they were bound by contract to not go any lower than whatever the advertised price was on the particular guitar.

Jack DeVille likes this.
  5. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I know what Gibdog is talking about- I'm the past I've used a similar tactic in negotiating a price on a (used) guitar. I was buying from GC and whatever it was cost about $960 after shipping. Then the sales tax would've taken it up to around the neighborhood of $1050; so I told the GC guy that I had a strict budget of $1000 and asked if he could give me a small discount to help offset the tax. He gladly gave me a 5% discount to get the final price in right around $1000, and we both walked away with what we wanted.

I don't know if that tactic will work going forward, but up until very recent history, States and local municipalities had been having a hard time collecting tax from online sales. GC was one of the few music retailers who had to deal with this because the law was such that a retailer had to have a physical shop in said state to be on the hook for collecting the tax. If GC didn't want to play ball, I could wait and find another shop that didn't have a physical presence in my state and buy from them without worrying about paying taxes. This has all changed, as I said, but up until very recently was a consideration when buying online.

So I get it. He's not asking them to shoulder the tax burden. But it's not crazy to ask for a small discount to help counterbalance the taxes. Particularly when you used to be able to take your business elsewhere and not worry about it at all!

6. Rod

That’s actually bs as well. The dealer could legally sell you the guitar for under dealer cost, and there isn’t a dam thing Gibson could do about it.....and honestly, they don’t care! They just want their product sold.. I was a Gibson dealer for many years....so I’m not making these statements up.. that dealer fed you a bunch of bull.....

7. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

He is asking them shoulder half the tax burden, though.

Pretty sure they could cancel the partnership, though.

8. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

In many cases, their margins are low and there are strict price controls from the company.

I have gotten “artist pricing” from companies before and saw the same item in guitar for almost the same price. Once, a guitar I got (Epiphone) was cheaper at Mars Music than artist pricing

9. motokev

motokev Member

Since everything is NOW being sold ONLINE, why can't the manufactures skip the middle-men and give us the price retail stores pay.

Do we really need these places like Sweetwater and GC and...…

Especially when it comes to car dealerships. Yeah, we can try one. BIG DEAL, I rather get the dealers cost.

This is why I only buy USED. I refuse to pay new for anything. I also refuse to pay TAX. I see GC and SW are now charging TAX. So, I'll never buy from either one.

Scamming the consumer must come to an end.

Oh wow, that felt good......

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  10. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

MAP is in because places like Prymaxe exist. They go out and take a loss and sell stuff at cost, price other dealers out of business then without other options to turn to they squeeze manufacturers to lower prices.

11. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Manufacturers do sell direct, but at same price to increase their margins, not sell at dealer cost. This alone is killing retailers and more store fronts and websites will go down. Soon, only way for retailers to survive will be by offering unique sku's nobody, including manufacturers sell direct. The end is near for many retailers.

stratadp and Jack DeVille like this.
  12. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Gold Supporting Member

There is some fancy word for that strategy/tactic, but like any sales transaction: it takes two to tango. ;)

13. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Yes, these things are more pervasive than we realise or recognise the patterns of.
    You'll find traces of it in interpersonal relations as well.

14. Jack DeVille

Yes, I agree with your perspective.
    The internet and broad availability of information has changed many aspects of commerce.

It's really pretty wild to watch it unfold in real time!

T92780 likes this.
  15. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Like any good dancing couple there's always one person leading. In this case it's the prymaxes and Walmarts that have all the leverage to do so.

Jack DeVille likes this.
  16. Jack DeVille

Great question! Even if rhetorical in nature.

I believe a major shift in B2B and B2C sales/commerce is on the horizon.

There are, of course, many reasons retail stores exist, and will continue to exist, but I think this is only the first layer of the proverbial onion which is commerce.

Really fascinating stuff, to me as an individual and businessman. (I can call myself a "businessman" right? I mean, I own and operate a business?)

17. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Used is great value & a service to all of us by recycling something that would've been kept idle.

18. Jack DeVille

Only when given... ;)

19. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Hence things like MAP policies...

20. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Wow. On a guitar as expensive as a Gibson, the dealer is lying to his face.