What's the deal with the 18 watt Marshalls?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telecopter, Feb 26, 2006.

1. telecopter

telecopter Member

All of a sudden it seems like everyone is making a copy of it. What gives??:jo

2. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

People have been making copies of the 18 watter for a long time.

I guess when Marshall reissued the 18 watter, people felt that they could make a lot of money making them because of the simple circuitry and few components.

I made one, but I have to say that several other 2xel84 cathode biased amp I made sounds better.

3. rastaman

rastaman Member

I bought the 2061X, it's a great amp that won't blow your head off and you can still gig comfortably w/ it. I'm looking at an 18watt also but Marshall wants mucho dinero for theirs, I'm considering a clone head version w/ TMB and a master volume.

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Why? Easy. Because you get intense Marshall grind at reasonable volumes

I'm REALLY digging my Weber kit :)

[​IMG]

5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

i have an 18 watt clone with tmb that is just awesome. real marshall grind and tone at volumes that wont have the cops at my door. loud yes. Mrshall stack loud? no

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The main reason I would go with the 36 watt version of this amp (booteek of course) is mainly due to the miserable lack of clean headroom with the 18 watter. The lack of being able to play clean with any authority escapes the 18 watters.

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

That's exactly what was suggested to me by a knowledgeable builder, I'm seriously considering it. I would hope that the master volume could keep you at reasonable volumes and allow you enough clean headroom- in turn giving you "the best of both worlds".

8. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Same reason everyone else says. Marshall tone at reasonable volumes. Though I have the Marshall reissue, so it's not a clone.

I'm really excited for my Nick Greer CAM18 to come in. That's a more unique circuit, AND has a master.

9. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

No clean headroom with an 18 watter? Maybe in a 1-12 configuration.Try a 2-12 Celestion vintage 30 loaded cabinet.You can also voice one channel for clean and leave the TMB channel for the grit.Its all about how you manipulate the circuit.
    I have done many 18 watt heads and guys use a variety of cabinets.I recently sold an 18 watt 2-12 combo to a gigging musician who normally used a bassman combo with 4-10's.He had no trouble with headroom.If you need more headroom than the 18 watt has to offer,you are playing in a very loud band.Most rock bands don't need clean headroom anyway.Next time you see a gig at a local bar or club and someone is using a 50 watt amp,look at where the volume knob is.Chances are it's at about 1-1/2.Yes,the 18 watt does good grind.But it's mostly at high levels where it really comes into it's own.Then it's power tube distortion and not pre-amp distortion like a boogie.For the average band headroom is not an issue.If you play at nosebleed punk levels then you need a 50 watt amp.What's the point if you have to wear ear plugs to play?The trend today is for lower wattage amps becuase people have discovered their PA systems have more than enough watts to do the job.Mic the amp and get as much clean headroom as you want.A 2-12 18 watt can blow away any medium size room.Size doesn't always get you what you need.
    If you want to be deaf in your old age,get a 4-12 and a 100 watt marshall.The tone starts at 10 on the dial.

10. Don L

Don L Member

What people said above. I bought my Reinhardt for that great Marshall plexi tone at lower volumes. I didn't buy it for clean tone, so the clean headroom is not an issue with me. It is surprisingly loud, too. It's currently my favorite amp to play! :dude

[​IMG]

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

You havent heard a Balls M-18 then. :D

12. bigroy

bigroy Member

While "reasonable volume" is pretty subjective, I am completely happy with my Germino Masonette. I gig mostly clubs, but it has everything I need. I play through an Avatar 212 loaded with Tonespotters. No master volume. Gets plenty of cleans with my Tele. I would guess humbuckers would overdrive it a little more, but it is the right combination of volume and tone, IMO.

13. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I bought a RockyTop 18 watt 112. I wouldn't call it the king of clean headroom but that's not why I bought it. I love the way this thing breaks up!

14. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

I just put an order in for a Voxer 18 from Gabriel Sound Garage. Right now, I'm playing smaller clubs and church, so it's going to be perfect for me. From what I understand from other users, it's tough to crank the Voxer up to 10...especially through a 212 cab loaded with a Blue and a Greenback.

I had been using a 55 watt EL34 amp, and it had clean headroom for days, but I've found that I don't really use "pristine" cleans much. I prefer a little dirt and breakup for a more electrified clean sound when I'm playing clean. So, I think the Voxer will be perfect. Plus, the power tube saturation is definitely something I'm looking forward to.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Thats what I'm saying. My Tele into my M-18 its the shiznit. :AOK

16. Roe

Roe Member

18 watts and el84s - too compressed and too poor bass response IMHO.