What's the deal with the logo on my old Charvel?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Registered User, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Registered User

Registered User Member

Hmm, interesting. I always thought the fretboard was rosewood. Even though it looks dark to the naked eye (I oiled it a few weeks ago), it has red-ish tinges which are more visible on the sides, and when I use the camera flash

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. Drew816

Drew816 Member

Looks like Rosewood to me, and looks an awful lot like my Charvel Strathead neck from the side...

Registered User likes this.
  3. Registered User

Registered User Member

Also, mine had string trees at some stage before I saw it, so I assume it was used with a non-locking nut for a while.
    And does the neck work order number of 5083 written in the heel ring a bell? Could it not be one of your old ones?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Mike Duncan likes this.
  4. Man with Gas

Man with Gas Member

The first neck on the Fiesta Red body had a single string tree originally, I then had a Floyd fitted by a guy named Gordon Harran.
    In fact Gordon fitted the decals. (I still have a Charvel replica completely hand cut (Neck & Body) made by Gordon based off the Fiesta Red that I played during my Rush Tribute days in the 90s) It doesn't have a Charvel decal, it has Gordon's decal that I designed and had made up. A killer guitar that I rarely use these days but will never sell.

The second neck was ordered with a Floyd Nut so never any string trees.

Looking at your pics my necks had Ebony boards and this was what was sold to Jack, I have never owned a rosewood Charvel neck.
    As I mentioned, they were Holdsworth's necks and his were Ebony back then.

Is there a chance somebody else made up decals after seeing mine and this is what we're seeing? The 5083 means nothing HOWEVER, Gordon may have marked the neck with May 83 as this is something he would do occasionally. He would have asked me first before marking my necks as I'm pedantic (aka:pain in the arse) about such things so again, I'm not sure.

Also, my necks always had mini Grover tuners installed. Never Gotoh or Schallers.

5. Registered User

Registered User Member

Interesting. Thanks again. The mystery continues

6. Man with Gas

Man with Gas Member

I gather you're in Melbourne?

If so, you may want to take it to Real Guitars in Glen Iris and have Ian Holding (9885 0020) have a look at it. He worked on my guitars for many years and if will know if it's a Charvel neck.

http://www.realguitars.com.au/index.html

Anyway, good luck and I'm confident Ian can shed some light on it for you.

7. Registered User

Registered User Member

Yep, Bentleigh. I used to go to Real Guitars semi-regularly in the late '90s. Brendan cut the custom scratch plate for my Jackson. I stuffed up by telling him to drill the hole for the volume pot in the wrong spot, then I drilled another hole a few days later. :D
    I didn't know Ian was a Charvel guy. Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  8. 83SanDimas

83SanDimas Member

Charvel Neck for sure. Take the control cover off the back and take a picture.

Drew, I pretty sure I bought your dimarzio body and restored it.

9. Registered User

Registered User Member

Thanks. Here it is

[​IMG]

10. 83SanDimas

83SanDimas Member

Import body, Charvel neck. Interesting observation is that for some reason most of the real dark Charvel fretboards are 1 5/8 (ebony)

Mystery hikes are paint stitch holes. Your neck was sealed or is sealed