What's the deal with the Timmy Pedal?? I don't get it..Help Guys

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rod, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I recently traded a fellow TGP'r for a Timmy pedal...Tried it with my Supro/Tremelectric...(think Vibro King clean channel), and then through my Hot Cat clean channel.(think Vox AC15).the Timmy sounds buzzy and thin compared to my OCD, or JD10, or Marshall JackHammer ODrive pedals...What am I missing? please help...Thankx guys, Rod

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

You have to fine tune the EQ to your setup. The pots are opposite of normal so if you turn treble clockwise it cuts the treble. Same with bass. Dont be afraid to use the extremes of the EQ either. All the way rt or left.

3. drolling

drolling Member

While Timmy does have a rabid following here at TGP, like everything else in life, this pedal's not going to work for everyone.

George Bush doesn't like broccoli and I don't like Tubescreamers, but they're both green and quite popular in some circles.

The only suggestion I'd make would be to turn down the treble & turn up the bass, remembering that the pots on Timmy work counterclockwise.

Failing that, you'd have no trouble selling it in the emporium. I'd say it'll go in under 10 minutes..

4. JayDA

JayDA Member

I just sold mine, it wasn't a bad pedal at all, just didn't suit my current needs. In front of an amp on the edge of breakup, it made an awsome clean boost, I almost kept it for that application. But in front of a clean amp it just didn't do it for me, I keep on going back to my COT/Eternity combination for my light and medium gain tones. I can see why people rave about it, everyone has different needs. And yes...I sold mine for what I paid for it in 5 minutes...

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

How are the internal dip switches set? Fiddle with them and see what happens. I too thought the Timmy was 'buzzy' when I first got it and compared it to my Tim. However, over time I've started preferring the Timmy over Tim. Give it a little time to experiment. It may or may not be the pedal for you.

6. radcliff

radcliff Member

I felt like I was always tweaking mine, and while it made some KILLER tones, I found a similar sound out of a Flat Mids Fulldrive with less work. I think it shines for clean leads with any extra bite, or nice rhythm parts.

I always felt like it was too much treble, or too little, and the same with the bass. I think I would like the Tim better, as it has one tone knob.

7. Rod

Thankx Guys...I'll try those settings...If it doesn't work out.what's a fair price to ask for a Timmy??

8. Rod

I didn't get any instructions with the Timmy,...What's the deal with the dip switches???

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

See its threads and posts like these that make me worry that Im not going to like the Tim or Timmy, and I have both on order...:(

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Nope, TIM has 2 knobs also. You should try a Gristle King by tim Jaeurnig. I can get VERY similar tones out of it compared to my Timmy, but it has a fuller clean sound like I remember the TIM having. (Maybe just my imagination). I too thought the Timmy sounded kinda like FD2 FM mode just a little more amp like. Shhhh Paul C doesnt like when ya compare pedals.... :p

11. enickma

enickma Member

No need to worry ... if they don't live up to the hype to your ears, you know you can more than break even. I'm holding out for the Timothy model :D

12. drolling

drolling Member

Rod, there was a recent thread w/very good photo showing the stock setting for the switches. When both are in the other position, there's more clipping/compression, and when one's up and the other's down, the clipping's asymmetrical. Some here on the page has the 1 page manual as a PDF, but I can't recall who.That info may be in the same thread w/the photo.

13. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Wow I don't mean to pile on.:) I too didn't keep my Timmy. However it is a great pedal....it just lost out to whats on my board now. By the narrowest of margins tho.

Paul C is a class act and the Tim/Timmy is a pedal that has and will make many people happy. And yes you can flip them for a profit. You really can't go wrong with this pedal even if you don't like it!

I kinda wish Paul would come up with some other pedals.....I'm sure they would be killer......(Hint: cranked 18 watt with full eq....:dude )

14. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I've never heard a thin sound come out of my TIMMY, or TIM so maybe your EQ is not set right. Try doing this to start.. Turn the Gain to noon, and turn both the treble, and bass to 12:30 or 1:00, and keep the volume a little above noon maybe 2:00 and tell me how that sounds. I can send you the PDF file if you want, whats your email address.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wetanimal

15. Rod

Hi Shane..My email is rodwelles@scdial.com thankx for your help...and thankx to everyone for their help!!!

16. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'd also suggest swapping the OpAmp for a JRC4558 (tubescreamer opamp). Smoothes it out and adds some mids. That and putting one dip switch up and one down and you'll be there... oh, I go to 1:30 with the bass and treble, gain at 1.

17. aquadog

aquadog Member

he he, you must really like the gristle king then, huh?

I personally liked the timmy a lot, but didnt really need it for my applications as much, and prefered the cot50 over it anyways (sounded bigger)
    the timmy is super versitile though with all the switches and tone controls though.

Like derek said, the gristle king is a nice alternative- though I liked the overdrive on the timmy better, the gristle king does have a very good one and has an amazing boost as well. Might be nice alternitive for someone who doesnt want to wait for the timmy or pay super inflated prices.

18. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I am LOVING the gristle king! Stacked into the Timmy sounds GREAT too!

19. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Rod
    As everyone has suggested the EQ of theTimmy is very powerful-don't be scared to use it to extremes.Having said that though, Timmy and TIM can be an aquired taste, a taste that for many of us comes when we decide we don't want the typical amount of colouration and compression that comes with most overdrives.

I tend to think that those who are used to a fair bit of "give" and saturation in the feel of a pedal may not bond with them to begin with. I would suggest not selling up yet though, time may recallibrate your ears as it did mine and there are all those options with the DIP switches and swapping opamps. I enjoy running a LM1458 chip in my Timmy which removes just a hint of the harshness, I also have it set to asymmetrical clipping which I find simulates my Voxes clipping a bit better.

The Timmy is not a huge investment monetarily but there is a big waiting list so I'd suggest hanging on to it for now.

20. Craise

Craise Member

+1 on these settings...
    +1 on the LM1458 chip
    at $100 for the TIMMY and $150 for the TIM you'll be hard pressed to find a better uncolored retain your amps tone and feel overdrive.
    :AOK