What's the deal with tooth whitening?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Cuthbert, May 3, 2015.

1. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Do you really need to have it done by a dentist?
    My hygienist thinks the over the counter ones work but professionally done will be twice as good. I just want my wife to make out with me more and I think this might work, but I'm confused. Hopefully a real dental pro will chime in on this (not just someone who plays one on tv) and satisfy this first world question once and for all.

2. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

meh. my teeth are pretty dingy from years and years of coffee staining. I really don't spend much of my time worrying about it. They are off white and I'm ok with it...

3. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

cant help too much but I will say that whitening works best on clean teeth. So, maybe get a kit after you go to the dentist and see how it goes.

4. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

You're hoping a degree or two 'brighter' teeth is the key?

Warning: the dentist office will try and upsell you.
    I had one recently where the gal was working me pretty hard to buy their higher priced fluoride toothpaste. I kept asking why their's? More fluoride? Is it better somehow?

Compared the amounts and it was the same as drugstore brands. :-/

5. murraythek

murraythek Member

There is no longer a need to see your dentist about whitening products. Check Ebay and you can purchase packages with the same amount of Carbamide Peroxide.

Warning though. This stuff will make your teeth very sensitive.

6. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

It is better to look good than to feel good...you'll look mahvelous!

7. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

From what I read, it weakens your teeth. That's the reason I never went for it.

8. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

the best is to get them cleaned and whitened by a pro
    the next best is to buy over the counter systems.
    they do work but not as good as what a dentist can do (mainly cuz of the cleaning)

that said they do work pretty well. When I used to smoke I used them and the difference was pretty dramatic.
    what I did was instead of the recommended 30 minutes , Id leave the strip on for at least an hour.
    we're talking $50-100 for like 20 strips. get your moneys worth lol

but i wouldnt do this more than once a year. it cant be good for you.

i think the dentist uses gel and light. you cant buy that at walmart, But the good whitening strips (read: expensive ones)
    do work id guess as much as 90% effective as a dentist can do.

9. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

No offense, but if your wife isn't making out with you, I doubt it has anything to do with how bright your teeth are.
    Is your breath fresh?

10. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

:agree Personally, I'd start with a shower, brush my teeth and use some mouthwash before considering cosmetic dentistry...

11. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Not all of us do this.
    We do not put pressure on folks in my office. We let them know what is available from my office, OTC, and other techniques that exist in other offices that we chose not to offer, the pluses/minuses, risks/benefits and we give them a chance to ask questions (and answer them) ... it's called PARQ.
    If you don't get it from the office you are in, well, in my state that's malpractice.

OP: Getting your wife to make out with you more often may involve, I dunno, maybe "practice"...kinda like playing guitar, practice makes more betterer.

Make sure, when you are talking to a dental office about whitening, make sure the following is included in your evaluation:

- have them describe the 'depth' of the stain, and whether you tend to have a relatively transparent layer of outer enamel (ie covering AND revealing a deeper stain), or if you enamel is more opaque and you are carrying the stain on the outside, where it is more accessible to chemical stain removal techniques. It is surprising how much this affects the efficacy of ANY stain-removal treatment, and how little it is discussed. I have turned down some patients' requests for chemical stain removal products based on this alone.

- an evaluation of any visible restorations (fillings) should be described to you. Composites (tooth colored fillings) and porcelain/ceramic/other types of crowns have a different response to stain-removal products than natural tooth structure. I have seen people come in with home-whitened teeth, but a noticeably-different colored filling or crown. Apparently, when the restoration was placed, it matched the teeth, bu they had some level of stain.... the catch-22 is, if you whiten before fixing a cavity, it can be very unpleasant as exposed dentin is generally sensitive to all sorts of osmotic pressure differences (it's one reason why "sweet" can hurt in the presence of decay). And, doing a filling to match stain, then whitening, then redoing the filling to match the 'new color' opens one up to the risk of unnecessary loss of tooth structure during the redo-process of the second filling... not good, generally advised not to go this path.

- medical/oral conditions should be evaluated too...there are some cases in which exposure of the gingiva to any oxidizing agent is questionable at best, or flat out contraindicated.

There are other things that should be discussed as well... exposed root surfaces, gum sensitivity, difficulty in obtaining an objective assessment of whitening progress at home (variable light sources, reference sources for 'how white am I currently?").

Whitening isn't a slam-dunk "easy sell" thing.
    I get quite upset when I see it treated as such.
    At the school I taught in, we tell the students not to do it that way, but the pressure outside is to sell, sell, sell. And if an office buys a laser-whitening system, then there is the 'need' to use it enough to make back the ROI.

FYI, my teeth are a medium-coffee-stain level.
    Not great for 'selling' whitening, but I am one of the 1-in-a-couple-hundred or so folks whose gums are extra-sensitive to carbamide peroxide, and they become extremely red even when the gel is applied with trays or painted on/washed off. The slightest contact is enough to elicit this reaction, in me. Well documented in my 'student dental chart' from our class on making whitening trays at school.... it sucks to be that person. BTW, the potential for this kind of a reaction should be mentioned by your dental office if you are being eval'd for whitening...it's a part of standard PARQ.

12. newking70

newking70 Member

13. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

14. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Just get a darker tan and your teeth will look whiter. :idea:

15. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

This thread is now useless without pics.

16. newking70

newking70 Member

[​IMG]

17. raph

raph Member

It's better to get a tray fitted professionally by a dentist.

The chemicals themselves are over the counter. Opalescence comes in 10-35% bleach, the higher the percentage the more sensitive your gums will be after treatment. It takes ~20 treatments to max out whiteness, after that it is maintenance.

If teeth are heavily stained, it may make sense to use the dentist's laser/light treatment to get several shades faster, but that treatment is a lot rougher on the gums and costs more money.

18. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Thanks to all, well most of you anyway, special thanks to Lefort 1. By the way I get my teeth cleaned 4 times a year, floss twice a day and use a special prescription mouthwash if I think I have a chance with Mrs. Cuthbert. Bad breath is out of the question for this cat.

19. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Wow. All I thought when I saw that was "cancer" and "Al Jolson".

20. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I use this once in the morning and once at night. Keep a funny grimace on your face as you make and hold a big smile as long as you can and let the toothpaste work while it stays on your teeth for awhile...:)

Works great and I'm probably 2 or 3 shades whiter... And I'm a coffee drinker also. :) Available at your local Wally World.

[​IMG]