what's the dif between PRS mccarty and non-mccarty?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by baald, Jul 13, 2005.

1. baald

baald Member

I've never really paid attention to the PRS offerings, though i loved teh CU22 my dad had about a decade ago. Anyway, i can't really figure out what distinguishes a McCarty form a non-McCarty PRS. It seems like both are available with many of the same options, etc. I know that the series was intended as a tribute to the man, but what would differentiate two otherwise simialr PRSi when one happens to be a McCarty, espectially to the PRS connoisseur? thanks and excuse me if i may have overlooked the obvious :)

baald

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

sorry if this is a little of topic, but what does the i in PRSi stand for? It's been bugging me for a long time.

3. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

It is the plural of PRS. You can say Fenders, and Gibsons, but it's tough to say PRS's.

4. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

The McCarty has the wide fat neck on all versions, the body is a little thicker, the top is a loittle thicker too, it has the three way selector, not the rotary one and has alnico magnet pickups, oposing to the ceramics on the customs and CE´s. The tuners are non locking and the bridge is wraparound (i´m not sure if fixed bridge customs have it, i think not).
    I think those are the differences, maybe i missed something...

5. aquadog

aquadog Member

thank you.

6. sws1

sws1 Member

Also a thinner headstock.

7. schmit

schmit Member

I think the headstock angle is different too....and has a push/pull on the tone for coil tapping

8. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.

"Hey man, check out my PRSeye" - What? Why the weird look?:confused:

Hmmm..."PRSs"...rolls right off the tongue!

The old style Kluson tuners are unique to the McCarty as well.

9. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

To me, the only real obvious difference when looking at pics is the Kluson-style tuning keys on the McCarty, as opposed to the regular PRS keys.

The other differences are not so obvious: McCarty has thicker body, thinner headstock, increased headstock angle, exclusive McCarty pups, wide fat neck only, 3-way toggle/coil tap only, rosewood neck option (though this was offered on Customs for a very limited time), stoptail only (though there was a tremolo version for a while), 22 fret only. Oh and don't forget the "McCarty" truss rod cover. And some colors aren't offered on one model or the other.

And doesn't the McCarty use a different type of maple for the top?

To confuse things, there are options that cross models. Maybe we should save that for later...

10. baald

baald Member

thanks guys. that TOTALLY answers my questions.

oh - and if you don't like PRSi (the Romance version) we can get Teutonic on yo' ass and call em PRSen ;)

baald

11. sws1

sws1 Member

Yes - regular McCartys use Big Leaf Maple which is the traditional Les Paul maple top. Less flamey.

The McCarty Brazilian Limited Edition uses the same highly flamed maple top the the other PRSi use.

12. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

That's why I pronounce PRSi as 'percy'. So much easier to say, plus I'm too lazy to say pee are ess ses. :)

Also, with the McCarty's a solid rosewood neck is available as an option where you can't get it on the customs (or any other model unless you go private stock). However, there was a 2 week window a couple years ago, where PRS offered a solid rosewood neck on Customs, of which somewhere between 200-300 were made.

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

All the differences laid out here are correct. I won't repeat. But I will say this. I have a Custom 22 and a McCarty Rosewood. My custom 22 has a trem, but has McCarty switching (3 way toggle and coil tap in tone control, instead of rotary switch). My CU22 is a little hotter in the bridge, but for all tense and purposes I interchange between the two all the time for gigs and practicing.

Although the McCarty is definitely my favorite...

14. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

My PRSes were built by Hobbitses. My Precious!!!

On a slightly less silly note:
    The Dragon II pickups have alnico, not ceramic, magnets.

15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

me likey

16. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Hobbitses and not hobbiti?

;)