Whats the diff between 6L6 35 watts and 50 watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Webfoot, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I have played various amps with two 6L6s. Some are rated 35 watts and others up to 50 watts. Are these different circuits like cathode biased or class A versus AB?

Is there a big sound difference (not just power?) or is the amp designer just pushing the 6L6s harder?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    All of the above. Variables include: bias type (cathode vs AB), plate voltage (higher can produce more output power), how hard the power section is driven, effeciency of the transformers, rectifier types, 6L6 type (G, GA, GB, WGB, GC suffixes are capable of producing increasing power output) etc. etc.

3. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

+1 on what Blue Strat said, additionally there are varying specs on how a manufacturer "rates" the output of an amp circuit... RMS, "Clean Watts", etc...

4. archtop

archtop Member

I have a 6G6 bassman a friend built for me. I think this circuit is normally about 40w. He built it with a deluxe reverb output transformer and it produces about 25w.

5. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

The 6L6 was designed to put out as much as 23 watts. Plate voltage x current = wattage per tube. For example, 40 mA at 250 volts is 10 watts, but 40 mA at 500 volts is 20 watts.