• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What's the diff between a Vibrolux & Super Reverb?

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
More specifically, I'm really talking about an Allen Encore and Old Flame.

Aside from the wattage I'm really trying to decipher the "base tone" differences. Does one overdrive better than the other?

Any insight will help, thanks!

re-animator

2x10 vs 4x10??

also I think they operate in different ohmages... the super is 2 ohms which i think works excellent with the 4x10.

Squigglefunk

the SR has a Mid pot on the Vibrato channel. Otherwise, they're virtually identical circuits.
I think the vibrolux has a smaller output transformer which gives a little softer, squishier feel, the bigger OT on the super gives it a bigger, tighter low end, less distortion and a bit more wattage.

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
I think the vibrolux has a smaller output transformer which gives a little softer, squishier feel, the bigger OT on the super gives it a bigger, tighter low end, less distortion and a bit more wattage.
You're right, the SR puts out 5w more (at 2.6 ohms) than the VR, forgot about that. Some of the headroom & bass handling variance is the OT, some the second pair of 10s.

Re. the Allen versions, the OP should consider that Master Volumes and variable negative feedback (the "Soul" control) are going to make them much easier to overdrive than the Fenders. Also, the Old Flame's 4/8ohm OT means it has as much in common with the Pro Reverb as the SR (the PR didn't have a Mid pot on the Vibrato channel, the SR did, I think that's why Allen ref's the SR in his description).

tlainhart

Not exactly what you're asking, but I went through the same decision-making process when I decided on the Old Flame (kit). For me, it came down to wanting the dwell that the OF offers, and not caring about the tremelo.

If you want an OF with Tremelo, and don't care about reverb dwell, get the Encore and upgrade the OT to that of the OF. I think another poster summarized well the differences between the two in this area.

More specifically, I'm really talking about an Allen Encore and Old Flame.

Aside from the wattage I'm really trying to decipher the "base tone" differences. Does one overdrive better than the other?

Any insight will help, thanks!

Trending Topics