What's the difference between a rotovibe and an univibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bbr king, Sep 20, 2008.

1. bbr king

bbr king Active Member

seems to me both are trying to get that leslie rotating speaker sound.. so what makes them different?

which one nailed the hendrix BoG tone?
    thanks guys..

2. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have both the Rotovibe and Univibe (clones).
    The Univibe clones're much closer to the Hendrix, or Trower sounds.

3. bbr king

bbr king Active Member

so, what is this rotovibe? I search some sound sample on youtube and rotovibe and univibe sounds pretty much the same..

4. Bobby

Bobby Member

I think the rotovibe is more like the Destination Rotation by Option 5 which really sounds like a rotating speaker. The Univibe is more of a throbing/phase kind of sound. As someone once told me, it's like the difference between Cold Shot and Machine Gun

5. wyatt

wyatt Member

The Univibe was originally deigned to be a replacement for a rotating speaker, it is actually just a mutti-stage phaser. While somewhat convincing on keys, the Univibe effect and a real rotating speaker were apples and oranges on guitar. But the Univibe had it's own charm and, with Hendrix's and Trower's help, had earned his unique spot in the effects world.

The Rotovibe was Dunlop's first attempt to out out a Univibe type pedal. Back when it debuted (late '80's), no one cared or bothered about using authentic historic circuits, the interent hadn't created legends out of mere electronics yet; so, Dunlop never bothered giving it a real Univibe circuit (which is an antiquated design actaully driven by a light bulb), they just made something to approximate the sound. It doesn't sound like a Univibe, to me it doesn't sound like a rotating speaker either, but whether Jim Dunlop was trying for one or the other or somewhere inbetween, I don't know? The Rotovibe has developed it's own cult following.

Ultimately, I would try both and buy the one that *you* like best. These days, my favs are the faux Univibes, Lovetone used to make one and Bob Sweet still makes his. 90% of the tone with a smaller enclosure and more consistant performance.

6. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

A Rotovibe has a distinct character of it's own.I used to have one and really liked it for rhythm tracks.Now I find myself dialing in a similar texture with my Mojovibe.I use harder settings for lead sounds occasionally.

7. bbr king

bbr king Active Member

too bad in my country we have no rotovibe in our music store.. so, I will have to buy it if I want to try it..
    thanks anyway guys..

8. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

If you want to sound like the Band of Gypsies album, I would assume a Univibe is the only logical choice since that's what he used.

Rotovibe is cool for psychedelic stuff. I've had several friends that were in love with what the Rotovibe does.

9. bbr king

bbr king Active Member

last update : I have a friend that has the rotovibe. he said that it is very good.. but too bad it is not a true bypass pedal.. he said that it sucks tone real bad..

to rotovibe owner : is this true?

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I recently got a Boss RT-20...it does a very convincing Leslie,complete with a little pre-amp grind that can be dialed in or out.I like it better than the Univibe or Rotovibe.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The Rotovibe and univibe are similar, but to my ears, the rotovibe sound like a cross between a phase shifter and a univibe. Still a decent effect, but not quite the same.