Whats the difference in the Gretsch Brian Setzer models!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sammy, May 2, 2008.

1. Sammy

Sammy Member

Can someone please tell me the difference in the Brian Setzer 6120 SSU Nashville and the 6120 SSLVO model?

The SSLVO gets rave reviews but is the SSU just as good, as I am currently looking at one! Thanks

2. oscar100

oscar100 Member

none

u dont get brian with any of them :worthless

3. Sammy

Sammy Member

Would the pics show the difference if I had either to photo!:moon

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't the Gretsch web site explain that the SSU is finished in poly with tiger flame top, and the SSLVO is finished in "vintage orange" lacquer?

5. steelvalley

steelvalley Member

only difference is urethane vs lacquer. Never played the SSU, but own the SSL. It's very well built - I love the trestle bracing and the pinned bridge. Makes for a versatile guitar. I won't claim to be enough of a tonehound to tell the diff between finishes, but if the prices were close, I'd always opt for lacquer

6. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

I've had both and the orange lacquered, non pinned bridge sounded better to me than the SSU and the hotrod.

7. 6120

6120 Member

I think it is just the lacquer. I have a 6120 SSLVO and it is my number one guitar. The build quality is beyond the capability of many boutique builders. The is is so dead perfect and the fit and finish is awesome. The TV jone pickups are articulate with great breakup , very versatile. The sperzel locking tuners work great . The guitar really stays in tune. Plays great and has great tone.

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i own a ssu and i had a sslvo but sold it to buy the ssu, both sound awsome but i liked the flamed maple and poly better, both had the same specs and pinned bridge, so far ive owned 2 hotrods, 2 ssu and 1 sslvo.
    all of them were great guitars and to some people the sslvo maybe be better but i really liked the ssu the best.

9. gregc

gregc Member

Just an FYI: I bought a Hot Rod, added Sperzels and pinned the bridge. She's a beaut!

10. Sammy

Sammy Member

Some great looking guitars there. You say you owned two SSU did one sound/play better than the other. Also what are the necks like as never actually tried one are they quite a nice rounded full size or are they thinner, less depth! Thanks

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i owned my first ssu in 2003 and it didnt have the pinned bridge, tv jones, or tressle bracing, i played it for a year and traded it for a relic strat.
    i mainly play metal but when i play other types of music such as praise and worship i tend to like the tones of a gretsch or fender.

my 2nd ssu is a 2006 and i bought it last year, i love the guitar and i dont plan on selling this one, i bought a sslvo right before i bought the 2nd ssu and the whole time i had the sslvo i kept saying to myself that i liked the ssu poly better, i liked the more modern look and the flamed maple and the color and honestly i didnt hear much difference in them, maybe i have a really good sounding ssu but it sounds just as good as the sslvo i had.

in 2004 and 2005 i had a purple hotrod and a lime gold hotrod and both were really sweet guitars also, niether of them had the tv jones but the pu that came with them still sounded great, maybe someday i might get another.

the setzer necks are not thick and lean more towards the thin side but are really comfortable to play, i never have any probs with they way they feel, i cant do some fast runs up and down the neck with ease.

12. Sammy

Sammy Member

Thanks to your info the SSU I was looking at did not have the latest upgrades, the guy had to amend his ebay description as he had copied the wrong details onto his ad. He made an honest error but I may have bought it not knowing ! Thats why this is such a good site to check things out on. :BEER