• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What's the difference in tone between 10" and 12" speakers?

Animal Mother

Yes, I know I posted another thread about 6L6 vs 6V6, but I'm just curious to know what is the difference in tone for the same type of speaker, 10" vs 12".

I was hesitating between a Princeton Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb and I thought the 12" would have more bass. I've been told it's not necessarily true...

So what is the difference in tone for the same type of speaker, but 10" and 12"? Is it simply portability/weight? Maximum output?

Thanks!

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
For clean playing, I've found that 10s respond quicker because of less mass.
I had a Dr Z CArmen Ghia combo wit ha 12 and with 2 10s.
For me the 2X10 one blew the other away.

therhodeo

In general, the bigger speaker will have more bass response.
Thats completely dependent on the speaker and the cab. If you're using the 10 and 12 version of the same speaker in the same type enclosure then yes that would be true.

Macaroni

I recently compared an EVM-12L with an EVM-10L and a Fane AXA12 with a Fane AXA10 - the 10s and 12s are the same exact speakers, ie: magnets & cones, just different cone sizes.

My conclusions were that the tones are of course very similar, but the 12s have a slightly, but perceptibly larger/wider/bigger, more open sound stage, kind of like watching a movie on a 60" TV vs a 40" TV.

So naturally, the bass is bigger on a 12, etc. Some of the subtle differences might be lost in a band mix.

Animal Mother

I recently compared an EVM-12L with an EVM-10L and a Fane AXA12 with a Fane AXA10 - the 10s and 12s are the same exact speakers, ie: magnets & cones, just different cone sizes.

My conclusions were that the tones are of course very similar, but the 12s have a slightly, but perceptibly larger/wider/bigger, more open sound stage, kind of like watching a movie on a 60" TV vs a 40" TV.

So naturally, the bass is bigger on a 12, etc. Some of the subtle differences might be lost in a band mix.
Thank you, this pretty much answers my question :)

12" = More bass, less detailed, more soundstage
10" = Less bass, more detailed, less soundstage.

Macaroni

I didn't find the 10s to be necessarily more detailed per se. More focused perhaps. The detail on the 12s is more open.

bettset

2". no, really--the 12's should give a bigger sound--the 10's a bit crisper. i've stayed with 12's :munch

Trending Topics

Top Bottom