What's the difference in tone between 6L6 and 6V6 tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Animal Mother, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Easy there.

I'll be a little more clear. Your comment that most 6V6 amps are cathode biased is misleading because it IMPLIES that cathode biased 6V6 amps are something experienced by the majority when it isn't. The Fender Deluxe Reverb, including reissues, is the most pervasive 6V6 amp of all time, with current numbers in service outpacing the sum of ALL other 6V6 amps, other models and boutique.

This makes the Deluxe Reverb, a FIXED BIAS AMP, the referential experience MAJORITY winner by a long mile.

gldtp99 likes this.
  2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

The BF Deluxe Reverb (one of the most popular amps of all time--- for good reason) is an example of a "Gooder" amp design. And it is designed to run a pair of 6V6 tubes in AB1 push/pull.

Not to be confused with other, less popular, amp designs which are "More Worser".

I hope I've been technical enough in my description to make everyone happy.

So to review:

1) Gooder = more better

2) More Worser = more worser than gooder

I hope that clears it up !! :cool::cool::cool:

3. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Interesting that this thread is bumped, I recently acquired two pairs of 6V6 in a tube bundle and tried the vintage set in a Redplate Blackloop last night; replacing the 6L6. I didn't think they were night and day different until I used the low power switch, then they started cooking. Much more raw sounding OD at reasonable levels. I then changed the Scumnico to to a Weber 12A125-S (small 1x12 combo), which added to the rawness ... in a more random distortion, heading towards tweed (rather than blackface) kind of way. Sounds fantastic.