What's the downside of Eleven rack and other cheap units?.. and other noob questions

Forever_Noob

I'm going to be moving to a bigger house and finally will have a (smallish) office/music space to call my own.

Right now I am using a Headrush gigboard for mostly Headphone playing because of kids and I have a tube amp that I almost never get to play. I have no pedals apart from the Digitech trio+ drum/looper pedal. In my next house I will be able to break out the tube amp in the room, but the room is "far" away from my living space and no AC/heat controlled so I can't leave my guitars there. I want to keep my Headrush in the bedroom to remove friction from being able to play.

I want to keep the office space tidy and didn't want pedals and wires all over the space, and found a nice desk that had rack mounts and started the rabbit hole of TGP research out of sheer curiosity. I understand that if you want to go deep into stereo effects and other things this is a black hole of time and money. But my needs are basic, get an acceptable range of amp models and effects from one unit and maybe another unit to interface with a computer. I find the cheaper rack units to be substantially cheaper than the equivalent Helix/Headrush type purchases. For example - an Eleven rack is in the low $200s! Am I missing some bigger picture?

Another basic question maybe this is related - what is the cheap power amp solution to drive a speaker cabinet if I didn't want to use studio monitors?

ctreitzell

oh man, thinkin about walking thru the rack door?
there is A LOT of info to plow thru

you've come in with vague asking for advice? You need to get specific or risk the pitfalls of mistake buying...which is super easy to do

I don't know anything about Eleven Rack :)

what you should start with is a computer program and design what you think you want. You require a mixer or two to manage your rack signal chains.

also, the used market is wise to us nowadays...I think I got on board just at the turning point of Reverb tumbling down into what it is now

cheap power amp? to drive a speaker of what spec?

I use a really cheap solution at the mo for powered cabinets. I got some Tech21 Power Engine 60 1x12 powered cabinets a couple years back and really I don't care too much for them. I do have a Fender Princeton '65 solid state with 12 inch speaker that is circa 2003 with a power amp in. I bet you can find 1 or 2 for under $100 each...I think it sounds better than these PE60s...and a lot cheaper!

maybe that is too loud for you, tho :)

Forever_Noob

cheap power amp? to drive a speaker of what spec?
Something that can drive a regular 2x12 cabinet. I guess a dumb question is for artists who use a rack pre amp - what is the usual way to get it to drive a regular 4x12 or whatever on a stage? (That's not my use case of course but just curious).

what you should start with is a computer program and design what you think you want. You require a mixer or two to manage your rack signal chains.
Do I need a mixer and get that complicated if I am using just one unit to do everything?

Thanks for entertaining these questions, I promise I did trawl through the forum before asking.

Here is a youtube video of the Eleven rack - maybe it was fantastic in 2012 but isn't that great today, but seems good enough for me. Other demos look pretty versatile and good too.

LPVM

Here's what's good about the Eleven Rack:
It's an amp modeler with really good amp sims
It's loaded with effects
It's a guitar interface that you can connect to your PC For recording

For $200 you will have your amp, effects and DAW needs mostly covered. You would be hard pressed to get as much bang for your buck with anything else. Sure there are better modelers out now with even more abilities but you will need to spend 3 to 6 times more for them.

Forever_Noob

Here's what's good about the Eleven Rack:
It's an amp modeler with really good amp sims
It's loaded with effects
It's a guitar interface that you can connect to your PC For recording

For $200 you will have your amp, effects and DAW needs mostly covered. You would be hard pressed to get as much bang for your buck with anything else. Sure there are better modelers out now with even more abilities but you will need to spend 3 to 6 times more for them.
Thats exactly what my impression was. I guess not knowing much about racks, what would you add to it for it to drive a 2x12 cabinet for jamming with a drummer?

LPVM

A power amp. You can buy a rack mounted power amp like a Peavey Classic 60 to power your 212 or any amp head that has an effects loop so you can run your Eleven Rack into the effects return of that.

reentune

Silver Supporting Member
From the sound of what you want, the 11r would be perfect.
Add a cheap Carvin stereo power amp and you'd likely be totally satisfied.
Get ahold of the presets that David Torn and Singtall made for the 11r and you'd have great presets to tweak.

All these "obsolete" units can still sound great.
It wasn't that long ago that I had an old DG Stomp.
You can make them all sound quite pleasing.

Eleven Rack is great.

It was great then, and it still is. What it won't give you is endlessly tweakable nitty gritty detail, like a LOT of the modern units (AxeFX and Helix) will. But it has a great set of about 20 amps which all sound really good, and it has excellent basic stomp box FX (Ross Compressor, TS9, RAT, Phase90, ADA Flanger, CE-1, Memory Man) as well as a couple 'post' plugins directly from Pro Tools - a compressor, stereo delay, stereo reverb, stereo multichorus.
These are all mega tweakable and have remarkable stereo width.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose and you may just find (as I did) that you don't need a 'better' modelling solution, it just does what I need it to do.

ItsTonyB

I'm going to be moving to a bigger house and finally will have a (smallish) office/music space to call my own.

Right now I am using a Headrush gigboard for mostly Headphone playing because of kids and I have a tube amp that I almost never get to play. I have no pedals apart from the Digitech trio+ drum/looper pedal. In my next house I will be able to break out the tube amp in the room, but the room is "far" away from my living space and no AC/heat controlled so I can't leave my guitars there. I want to keep my Headrush in the bedroom to remove friction from being able to play.

I want to keep the office space tidy and didn't want pedals and wires all over the space, and found a nice desk that had rack mounts and started the rabbit hole of TGP research out of sheer curiosity. I understand that if you want to go deep into stereo effects and other things this is a black hole of time and money. But my needs are basic, get an acceptable range of amp models and effects from one unit and maybe another unit to interface with a computer. I find the cheaper rack units to be substantially cheaper than the equivalent Helix/Headrush type purchases. For example - an Eleven rack is in the low $200s! Am I missing some bigger picture?

Another basic question maybe this is related - what is the cheap power amp solution to drive a speaker cabinet if I didn't want to use studio monitors?
Not used the eleven rack but it looks versatile.

I used to use a digitech gsp1101 with a marshall el84 20 20 and got some great tones all in 2u.

If you want a mono power amp I recommend the Garland 40w 6l6 one (he can do lower wattage too) that's a custom order and around €340 for the 6l6 one which is what I'm using with my triaxis + gsp1101 combo

zekmoe

I got a used one, but basically brand new in a box, for like $100. Never used. I like it for a few sounds and it’s got some value as a tool for sounds. It’s not as realistic as my helix but sometimes you don’t want that.