What's the dumbest deal you've ever made?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ugacrow, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

When I was about 14, I sold my all-tube Peavey Classic 30 amp so that I could buy a solid state Fender Princeton 65 because I wanted to be able to get good tones for an acoustic AND electric guitar out of an amp. :roll

That's not too terrible, but it sure wasn't smart. What idiotic things have you done?

2. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Traded a really good road bike in 1977 for some Japanese copy of a Jazzmaster. Bike was worth maybe $450 at the time. The guitar could be had at a pawn shop today for $30.

Bought a JC120 and a Japanese (collector's item... total bs) bolt on neck Les Paul from a "friend" for a $1000.00 in 1979. He went out and bought a real Les Paul with the money. Sucker!

There was no real knowledge available to average people at the time. Electric guitars were this mysterious unknown and the magazines were so busy stroking their advertisers, they wouldn't say anything negative or give any real information. For example, they never once disclosed that a newer Fuzz Face was not the same circuit etc etc.

3. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I like a dumba@@ and being very young at the time traded a '64 Hummingbird(though it was in bad condition like a small neck crack) for a Fender Lonestar strat at a local Music store,

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I was kind of young too...

Traded my blackface Fender Champ for a wah wah pedal at the local music store. :jo

Damn, I have to add that I traded a 70's Black Gibson Les Paul Custom for a copy Les Paul Standard because it was White and I wanted a White one as I grew tired of the black. Another :jo

Hi, my name is Larry and I have made some dumb a$$ deals in my time.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. DrBob

DrBob Member

Electing to buy a new Red Hohner "The Jack" headless guitar as my second electric guitar rather than the Cherry Red 62 SG special that the guy in the shop was offering me for the same money:Spank.

Because obviously those Hohner Jacks are really maturing into modern classics......

6. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Sold my '92 Mesa Rectifier for some mediocre stuff, I cant even remember what really. Properly miss that amp, was a good hi gain amplifier.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I sold a early-mid 60's Tele in '80 for $90.00 because it needed a fret job.

I hate myself for that!

8. khromo231

khromo231 Guest

In the mid-seventies I traded an early seventies/trapeze ES-335 for an Acoustic 450 amp head. I was migrating to electric bass, and it seemed like the head to have, after a 360. The head gave me good service, although I wound up selling it for about $300 many years later.

That ES-335 had marvelous action. I sure wish I knew then what I know now!

9. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

In the 80's traded a Gibson Heritage Elite to a store for a Burny Les Paul because I thought the Burny sounded better. Neither sounded very good, but that gibson was expensive at the time. (Stupid deal).

10. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

Traded a 62 Strat for a Suzuki. Somebody shoot me so I can stop remembering I did that.

11. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I once traded a 64 ES345 I paid $400 for for keyboards in the 70's, dumb! Now they're worth about 7 to 9 grand now. Another one was trading my 1956 TV Yellow special (refin) for a 1996 new tobacco burst standard in 96. Even the factory refin would fetch 10K

12. doc

doc Member

A guy who gave me a few lessons when I was a young teenager traded me his Hagstrom Viking for my 60s Gibson SG. I guess you could say I learned some things from him.

13. KingBoneSlim

KingBoneSlim Member

Sold a Martin OM45 Golden era for $7000 months before price went to $35,000.

Traded a Collings archtop, Wait time is now 3 years.

Cant look back.

14. Bad G.A.S.

Bad G.A.S. Senior Member

I sold my SRV Strat to a hock shop back in my early college days for $850 (less than half what I paid for it: $1900 + tax) so I could buy weed, beer, and a Nintendo 64...Dumbest thing I ever did, and every time I think about it, I feel sick to my stomach...I'm convinced that the people who work there are actually Satan's minions...

15. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

When I passed out of my Zakk Wylde phase into my country (Diamond Rio/ Jimmy Olander) phase, I called a guy who had a MIM tele listed in the paper and offered him a straight trade for my Gibson Les Paul.

sheesh. It hurts to see this in writing.

16. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Well, there was my Dumble....

But then again I still have my killer 56' Tele that I traded an Ovation straight up. It was a nice Ovation though :AOK

17. Brock

Brock Member

1960 Les Paul special for a Gibson doubleneck Plus $350............:( I need a drink.

18. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I had several at least

Mint 100 watt JCM800 Half Stack $800
    Mint 50 watt JCM 800 Half Stack $750
    Traded a 1980 Gibson Heritage Elite NM Cond for a 1980 Strat

The list goes on:puh

19. Brian D

Brian D Member

I traded my King alto sax for a P.O.S. Encore guitar, and on top of that I still had to pay cash for the cardboard guitar case that came with it.

20. Steven

Steven Member

Sold an early 70´s Les Paul Deluxe gold top to buy a Charvel Model 6 with Khaler bridge (back in 1984).